Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

March 28th, 2023 12:00

Can't restore Windows 11 after changing BIOS RAID to AHCI

I need to change my BIOS to AHCI to support a dual-boot Linux configuration.

I took care to create a Windows System Image on an external drive and a System Repair disc before doing anything else.

However, after making the change, and then using the System Repair disc to restore my system image, my laptop won't recognize the drive! What can I do to recover my system image after this change please?

-Bob

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

April 3rd, 2023 11:00

In the end, after reading several internet resources, I successfully followed a simplified process similar to the Dell documented process:
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000124714/how-to-switch-from-ahci-to-raid-on-dell-data-security-windows-systems

None of the registry-key manipulation described on that page was necessary. My process was:

1. open an elevated command prompt and run command
    bcdedit /set safeboot minimal
  2. Reboot the computer. Press F2 during reboot to enter BIOS settings mode.
  3. In BIOS, modify SATA Operation from RAID to AHCI
  4. Exit the BIOS and restart the computer. Windows automatically boots into safe mode and update the required driver.
  5. Still in safe mode, open another command prompt and run command
    bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot
  6. Reboot and allow Windows to start normally.

The key difference between this and what I tried initially was the boot into safe mode after changing the BIOS setting. Safe mode caused Windows 11 to switch to using the required driver for the new setting, so that a subsequent full boot into Windows was possible. Nothing else was required, for my system.

It's entirely possible that after my initial pass I could have simply switched BIOS settings back to RAID and Windows would have booted up fine. Instead I recovered from my Windows System image. But I would highly suggest to anyone who is about to change these BIOS settings to create a Windows System image and a repair disk just in case, so you do not risk losing your valuable data.

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

March 28th, 2023 13:00

In case this matters - this was for an Alienware m17 R2

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

March 28th, 2023 13:00

In case there's any question, here is how I created my System Image:
recovery.png

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 28th, 2023 22:00

You are aware of the process you need to go through before changing from one controller to another?

I am not clear on your use of the System Image in this situation.

To change Controller, set the system to boot into Safe Mode using msconfig.exe.  Reboot and go into the Bios and change the controller, then let it boot into Safe Mode.  In Safe Mode, use msconfig.exe to change back to a normal boot.

You cannot change out of RAID if your system has Intel Optane Memory in use.  It is required for that configuration.

If you have a System image that was created while using the RAID setting, you may need to switch back to that in order for the restored image to boot.

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

March 29th, 2023 14:00

Thanks!
How can I tell if I have Optane Memory in use?

I had presumed that the BIOS change to AHCI was destructive to my data on the disk and that I would have to restore the image. If that step is unnecessary, that's great! At this point I have restored my BIOS settings and restored the image so I am back to square one and looking for a path forward.

I have now found this documentation page:
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000124714/how-to-switch-from-ahci-to-raid-on-dell-data-security-windows-systems

My understanding from that page is that I must:

• change a few registry keys
  • set up the boot into safe mode using bcdedit
  • reboot to make the BIOS change
  • reboot into safe mode (at which point it will install an AHCI driver)
  • set up the boot for a full reboot using bcdedit
  • reboot

Does that sound accurate?

No Events found!