Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

16 Posts

September 16th, 2019 20:00

Cannot create recovery drive

I have a new (several days) Inspiron 17 3780 laptop with Win 10 Pro.

I've tried several times to create a recovery drive with no success.  I start with a 16 GB flash drive plugged in and run the process following the steps in the 'How to set up your ne Dell Computer'.  The process starts, and runs for about 50 minutes, during which time the various screens indicate the steps are progressing and the green line moves from left to right.  At the end, the final screen simply says that it failed --and there is no indication as to what the problem may have been.

I have tried repeating with McAfee disabled, and it failed again.  I have formatted the flash drive to NTFS, and the create recovery drive process continually re-formats to FAT32.

Any suggestions ???

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 17th, 2019 07:00

Although a 16 GB drive should be large enough, you might try a 32 GB version..

Are you using some image from Dell to do this or the utility in Win 10 to create the Recovery Drive?

32 Posts

September 17th, 2019 14:00

If your goal here is just to create a backup of your entire O.S + files, might I suggest you go in another direction. Download Macrium reflect; it's free. Once downloaded and installed, go into other tasks and rescue media and let it build a startup for Windows 10. By doing this, you'll create a boot option when you first start your computer allowing you to switch to Macrium recovery in order to restore a complete OS image which you'll have on that Flash drive. I'd format the Flash drive again into NTFS, run Macrium Reflect and create an image on that Flash drive. I swear by this recovery software. It has saved me a bunch of times. 

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

• 

17K Posts

September 18th, 2019 06:00

• 

17K Posts

September 19th, 2019 03:00

bpa64,

Did the information provided help you resolve the issue creating the recovery drive?

Dell-Jesse L

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 19th, 2019 08:00

Any chance you could give us a link to your procedure?

I found you reference so now, you are using the Win 10 process for making a Recovery Drive and not something from Dell?

16 Posts

September 19th, 2019 08:00

No joy.

Following the link you provided above, the document "Error when trying to create backup media (System encounters an error when creating USB recovery drive in Windows 10)", in the 'Solution', I encounter a problem in step #2:--

Type the command: cd C:\Recovery\OEM then press the Enter key.

I get a response:--  'Access is denied'

As described, I did launch the command prompt as 'Run as Administrator'.

16 Posts

September 19th, 2019 13:00

I originally started following Dell's "How to set up your new Dell Computer", in the section 'Create Recovery Media'.

This is the link/document (referenced above) I was referring to:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>.

• 

25.7K Posts

September 20th, 2019 05:00

bpa64,

If the steps in the link did not work did you click on the other link that reads

If the above steps do not work, the following solution using diskpart is outlined at the following Microsoft Community forum: How to fix "We can't create a recovery drive on this PC"

in the same link?

Dell-Jesse L

16 Posts

September 20th, 2019 12:00

Still No Joy.

Tried that link and all of the other links referenced --they ALL ultimately revert to the original 'Recovery Tool' process I tried (that failed) days ago.

• 

17K Posts

September 23rd, 2019 07:00

bpa64,

Click the link below for other information on the recovery image.

How to Download and Use the Dell OS Recovery Image in Microsoft Windows

16 Posts

September 23rd, 2019 10:00

Just tried the above link and it appears to have been successful;  however, the instructions are somewhat confusing.  It appears to assume that you want to download the recovery tool and upon completion run the tool to 'install' the downloaded image (not the image of the computer).

Since I did not want to re-load the image at this time I select the option to stop.  Somewhat to my surprise it then gave me the option to create USB drive with the image.  There was no advance warning the the 'primary' purpose appeared to be re-load the PC not simply create a USB drive.

September 23rd, 2019 15:00

Thanks for the message. 

I hear you and you're right! That's not the expected behaviour. We will take that as feedback for future improvement. 

Let us know if you need any further assistance. 

1 Message

May 4th, 2020 16:00

I had the same problem.  I reset my computer and created the recovery disk before installing any apps.   

You can also download the Dell recovery app.

Start the SupportAssist app.

Click on the online tools and help section
If you have a Dell account and registered your computer, it should show up on the Product Support page.
Under Drivers & Downloads
Scroll down until you see Additional resources
Click the Operating system recovery link and download the app.
This app will allow you download the Windows OS to manually restore your computer.
No Events found!