Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

8 Posts

February 14th, 2020 23:00

Change UEFI boot to legacy boot after installing windows 10?

I used UEFI boot to install my repair laptop dell inspiron touch screen. I tried to apply legacy in boot sequence. That option deleted my windows 10  OS and other installed drivers. I reinstalled them. But I am afraid. If I tried to change boot mode. All data will be deleted again. What should I do? 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

February 15th, 2020 03:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @AnuSara199 

A Google search using "convert uefi boot to legacy boot" comes up with many tutorials!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=convert+uefi+boot+to+legacy+boot&rlz=1C1EJFC_enUS814US814&oq=Change+UEFI+boot+to+legacy+boot&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5j69i60l2.3990j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Best regards and good luck,

U2

February 15th, 2020 04:00

If I change the boot mode in Legacy, will it delete the windows OS, installed office, dell drivers and other downloaded softwares?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 15th, 2020 16:00

@AnuSara199  changing the boot mode doesn't delete anything on your hard drive.  However, if you installed Windows while your system was in UEFI mode, then you won't be able to boot it anymore if you switch to Legacy later.  The reason is that Windows sets itself up differently on a system depending on whether it will be booted in Legacy or UEFI mode, including setting up different hidden partitions.  If you want to use Legacy boot, then you'd have to change that BEFORE you install Windows.  But realistically you shouldn't be using Legacy boot anymore anyway.  Windows 10 supports UEFI boot, and using UEFI also allows you to enable Secure Boot, which is a nice anti-rootkit protection.  Windows 10 will also no longer update itself on systems that support UEFI boot but are still configured for Legacy boot, and Intel has announced that starting in 2021, its CPUs won't even support Legacy boot anymore.  So why are you even trying to switch back to Legacy mode in the first place?  If you share more about what you're actually trying to achieve, there might be a better way to achieve it.  So even though there might be guides to convert a UEFI Windows installation to a Legacy Windows installation as @U2CAMEB4ME , that really wouldn't be a good idea. The much more common path at this point is to convert a Legacy installation to a UEFI installation if needed.

April 23rd, 2020 11:00

I have the same issue.  UEFI 64 bit, wihout options to switch to legacy and turn off secureboot.  I need 32 bit Win 10 on a split partition SSD, however I cannot seem to find the work around.  A couple proprietary commercial programs I utilize for work will not work with 64-bit or any other modified setting to adapt to a different windows version.  Any ideas how to get 32 bit WIn 10 installed on UEFI with Win 10 64 bit already?

March 15th, 2024 23:57

How to set ddr3 16x chip RAM to DDR3L Laptop is not Dedacte 

No Events found!