Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 14th, 2018 07:00

Dell 5570 8th gen i5-8250u overheating in League of legends (80 celcius in normal)

Hello , I bought a dell inspiron 5570 with

cpu: i5-8250u,

graphic card: amd 530 4gb GDDR5

memory: 8gb ddr4 2400mhz

disk:128SSD + 1TeraByte HDD

I play League of legends  in even low settings without shadows and champion inking and i get 78-80 steady celcius and after a half an hour even 90 degree(saw it in speccy, only lol ,speccy,task manager opened). I have my laptop in a double fan base and it is in max. I have the laptop for around 3 days. I changed radeon settings to high performance in plugged in. I even deactivate the improvement in full screen to league of legends app. I even tried windows gaming mode. I have the last update of windows and i already updated the bios through dell installed program. A friend of mine with acer aspire I think, i7-7500u and i believe nvidia 940m has in high settings 66 celcius cpu and 56 celcius in graphic card. The league of legend is installed in HDD does it matter? What i can do to decrease the heat? The idle is around 52 and with some iweb tabs to 59-61 without the cooling base.

4 Posts

March 13th, 2018 12:00

bro those temps are really bad, first check whether your power plan has cooling policy set to active, I would recommend googling the normal temps for that laptop and undervolting the cpu with intel xtu, I did that but only decreased 5 degrees (from 72 to sixty-something)

1 Message

April 15th, 2018 03:00

same problem here, same laptop

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

April 16th, 2018 05:00

Hi DBroken,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected during game play.  Does it have any issues while not playing games?  Like doing email, internet, etc.?  

Have you run a systems diagnostics?  Please try performing a system diagnostics by pressing F12 at startup or by running Dell Support Assist.  Make a note of any error messages and post back.  

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Dell portable system heat issue or the system is overheating.

3 Posts

April 28th, 2018 05:00

Hi there i contacted dell for the same issue. The technician advised me to boot to bios and turn of the intel turbo boost utility and it helped improve my temps. Hope this helped.

1 Message

May 19th, 2018 15:00

Hi there, sorry but, what was the highest temp that processor spotted since you turn off the turbo boost? Thanks.

10 Posts

July 22nd, 2018 18:00

Disabling turbo boost shouldn't be the answer to solve the problem, that is an important feature of the processor and for the notebook. It's like having a ferrari and you limit to slow it down.

April 25th, 2021 15:00

So, i have this laptop, and the reason for the heat is the way dell specs their processors for actually really good performance. 

So a normal i5 8250u has a max rating of between 15 and 25 watts. My dell one is pulling 35-40 watts, and hitting amazing all core frequency speeds of 3.2-3.3 ghz all cores. 

This sits the processor at cinebench score of around 610 for me, when compared to other laptops I have used with supposedly better processors, it actually is better....

Your best bet is to try and cap the max power allocated to that cpu to 25 watts, which is the spec of the processor, as that should make a far bigger difference to your temps. 

It's a shame dell doesn't use this processor in their g3/5/7 line-up and give it 35-40 watts of power, as the processor really flys. Amazing really, but it is at the detriment of temperatures, unfortunately, especially on a chassis like this one, as that single fan really can't keep up. 

I'm actually quite happy with my laptop tbh, and it works okay for me. 

No Events found!