Start a Conversation

Unsolved

5 Posts

October 10th, 2018 10:00

Dell G3 3579 graphics driver crashes

I have a DELL G3 3579, Intel Core i5 8300H 2.3 GHz, 8Gb, 256GB SSD, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 - 4096 MB, Windows 10 Home, G315 - 7145.

The problem is that the video card driver crashes. And I noticed a certain regularity in that. When the external monitor is connected via HDMI, and it's going to sleep mode, after waking up it takes about a minute and the video driver crashes. However it doesn't happen always, I don't know what has caused, but it was under these circumstances.

In this case, the screen resolution drops to a minimum, the image on the external monitor freezes, and the built-in screen becomes main. In the device manager, only one video card is found, with an exclamation mark on the icon. Also there is a notification that the screen driver could not be started, and the basic Microsoft video driver will be used.

After a reboot everything is back to normal.

Video drivers are the latest, BIOS updated to version 1.4.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

9.4K Posts

October 11th, 2018 05:00

Hi 15jkeee,

Thanks for posting. Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Have you checked all the connections to the computer and to the external monitor to make sure they're tight?  Check that, then be sure to run Dell SupportAssist to check for any hardware issues.  Make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.  

if that all checks out, my next suggestion would be to make sure you don't have a corrupted driver.  Please try completely removing the driver, rebooting the computer, then reinstalling the driver.  You should also check the BIOS driver as well.  

Does this occur with the external monitor disconnected?  If not, then try with another monitor to see if it happens.

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

5 Posts

October 14th, 2018 07:00

Thanks for the answer. Of course, the first thing I did was reinstall the drivers and update the BIOS, but the problem returned. With the monitor disconnected, I did not encounter this problem.

About SupportAssistant, he didn't find problems, I’ll add some screenshots of how it looks in the system. Another trouble is that the usual reboot does not work, it hangs and turns for hours, you have to restart forcibly.2.JPG

3.JPG

Снимок.JPG

Снимок1.JPG

5 Posts

November 6th, 2018 00:00

I have exactly same issue as you describe, I have the latest update drivers is there any solution? my laptop completly new...it is very upsetting.

thank you

5 Posts

November 6th, 2018 00:00

Hello,

I have exactly same issue as you describe, is there any solution? my laptop completly new...it is very upsetting.

15 Posts

November 6th, 2018 01:00

my recommendation is to use only dell drivers, nvidia driver it's too buggy  at this point

5 Posts

November 6th, 2018 05:00

I did install both drivers from dell support and its still crash every day

5 Posts

November 6th, 2018 05:00

@28spawn wrote:

my recommendation is to use only dell drivers, nvidia driver it's too buggy  at this point

I did use the dell support for both drivers intel and nvidia, result is the same

5 Posts

November 7th, 2018 03:00

I also used these drivers.

6 Posts

December 7th, 2018 00:00

I use the lasted intel driver , But before I install the lasted intel driver i uninstall and use DDU to clean it to make sure there is no problem, Also I'm hidding the update of windows auto install driver for nvidia / Intel , But I'm stuck with driver from dell for nvidia, I'm try the one from nvidia it constantly give me a BSOD with nvidia 417.22 , But after i roll back when try to install it give me an error that not found 1050, So i guess i'm still with dell nvidia driver for a while

1 Message

December 10th, 2018 19:00

For anyone who is still having this problem, the solution is to simply disable the Intel UHD Graphics 630 from Device Manager -> Display Adapters.

590 Posts

December 11th, 2018 07:00

The Drivers and downloads list on Dell's Support site for both G3 3579 and G3 3779 looks messed up.  It has GeForce Experience listed twice.  And, the 22 Aug 2018 entry has the 01 Oct 2018 driver listed under "Older versions" !!!  What a mess. 

Given that disabling Intel Graphics works (meaning to me Optimus is having problems) I wouldn't be surprised if the 01 Oct 2018 GeForce 1050/1060 version 398.36 is actually the one for desktops, not notebooks (assuming there's a difference).

Someone at Dell need to review the drivers for the Dell G3 - both 3579 and 3779 models.  Something's wrong.

December 19th, 2018 02:00

I completely agree. I don't have exactly the same issue, but it's a serious problem nonetheless. When I connect my laptop to an exernal monitor, the windows, when I move them around are very glitchy, only rebooting helps fixing that, and it workd they way it should. But the problem is I have to REBOOT EVERY TIME when I connect external monitor, which is super uncomfortable. Moreover, when I dsiconnect external monitor, the laptop starts consuming 7 watts more for no apparent reason. I opened harware monitor and while GPU and CPU show from 1 to 2 watts at idle, the package tdp is like 7-8 watts, even when I'm not doing anything, which strongly reduces battery life. Again - reboot helps but it's super uncomfortable, as in a way I use my laptop I can't reboot it every time. 

Would installing Intel official driver help? Because I only have the driver from Dell's site

December 19th, 2018 02:00

so did installing another driver help to fix your issue?

5 Posts

December 19th, 2018 04:00

I have installed both drivers from official sites of Intel and Nvidia, not from Dell, but the problem still continues. Don't know how much it depends on it, but I have the crashes were much less likely than when I created this topic. Crashes usually occur when you Wake up, if the laptop went to sleep after a certain time, when running full-screen applications, or when I change the monitor. And so 90% of the time I use only the image on the external monitor. By the way, have you tried to update the BIOS to version 1.5.1? In the changelog it is written that updated the driver of NVIDIA.

2 Posts

December 26th, 2018 13:00

Hello there. 

I have exactly the same issue. I updated to Bios 1.5.1 but the problem remains.I also did a fresh install of windows. Someone from Dell Support can help us? It's brand new and not a cheap one.. It's a pity.

Thanks. 

No Events found!