Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

2 Posts

April 25th, 2019 17:00

Dell G7 15 Experiencing severe gaming performance and possible temp issues

Hi, so I have a Dell G7 15. Purchased last June. It uses the i7-8750H CPU, Nvidia 1060 with Max-Q design GPU, and 8GB of RAM. When I first got it, everything was perfect. I played games on it pretty often with multiple hours per session at 60fps. About 10 months in now and I've noticed games begin to stutter, so I installed some monitoring tools. I found that some time after starting up a game, usually 5-10 minutes in, the GPU would reach a temperature between 76-78 degrees and it would remain there throughout. Also, the GPU would reach a utilization of 100% at which point the game's framerate would significantly reduced to around 15fps, will sometimes jump back up to mid 40's-60's for about two minutes, then back down. When the GPU is at 99% the framerate reduces to 30fps. Doesn't matter what game I play or how low I set the settings, once the temperature reaches 78 degrees I know I'll be experiencing severe framerate drops from there on out. Am I still under warranty to send it back in? Is there anything I can do or others that have this problem? Noticed this same GPU with a similar model laptop was posted in April 2018 with the same issues. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

• 

17K Posts

April 26th, 2019 04:00

GodKingPisces,

The system is running within range. Are you running it on battery only or ac adapter? Run the support assist program.

Dell SupportAssist for PCs User’s Guide

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message as well as your Registered name
Email address
Phone number

April 28th, 2019 19:00

Thanks, sent

1 Message

December 25th, 2019 23:00

Have you found a way to resolve this issue because im having the exact same issue and its infuriating because every game has become just about unplayable and not enjoyable from this factor.

January 3rd, 2020 15:00

This is the exact same issue i'm having. I'm glad i'm not the only one experiencing this. I've searched everywhere on the internet for a solution but can't seem to find one. 

August 16th, 2020 19:00

Hi friend. Can you find a solution to this problem? I just bought a G7 Laptop and I have the same problem. It is almost impossible to play any game because the FPS drops too low. I have checked everything and cannot fix the fault.

No Events found!