Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 10th, 2020 14:00

Dell G7 7700 - severe frame rate drops and GPU throttling

Experiencing major performance issues with my new Dell G7 7700 - i7-10750H / RTX 2070 Max-Q. Almost all games, even ones almost a decade old, trigger the GPU to throttle down to 300MHz and bring frame rates crashing to 10-15fps. The issue is erratic but frequent - sometimes it takes close to an hour to occur and other times it happens within a few minutes.

I reached out to Dell support via WhatsApp. After spending hours troubleshooting with them, collecting GPU logs, etc. and waiting sometimes 24+ hours for each response, they tried to close my ticket, saying "this is normal behavior in response to heat issues". Anyone who would have run into this issue during beta testing of this laptop before Dell started selling it would NEVER have considered this "normal" or in any way acceptable. I contacted Dell "premium" support via phone and spent over an hour troubleshooting with one of their reps. He stated the issue was definitely not heat related and was definitely not normal. After we were unsuccessful at getting the issue resolved on the phone, I collected some additional data for him and sent it his way via email. That was 7 days ago and since then, I haven't received any response at all, from him or from anyone else at tech support.

This is an issue that is apparently affecting a lot of people. See my post https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/ilm377/g7_7700_frame_rate_dropsgpu_throttling/ regarding this, and the Dell forum post at https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/G7-7500-RTX-2070-Drops-Framerate/m-p/7670471 - a Reddit search for "G7 7700" will also yield a huge number of reports.

It's not a thermal issue as the throttling has happened for me in the mid-60C temp range and has occurred all the way up to 78C. At the time the issue occurs, CPU temps are around 75C (disable Intel Turbo Boost in the BIOS to get these more sane temperatures). Some users have speculated that it's a voltage issue, but mine seems to trigger generally in the 0.96-0.98V range and there have been long periods of time where the GPU has sat at higher voltages than that without throttling. If this is some sort of hardware limitation where the GPU is pulling back to protect itself, I'd expect it would happen consistently upon hitting the same temperature or the same voltage every time it occurs.

Some people have had success limiting the GPU clock speed with MSI Afterburner and turning off Intel Turbo Boost. Some people have had success with uninstalling Alienware Command Center and Overclock Tools (though then you don't get macro keys, performance mode, or control over keyboard/ambient lighting). At least one user was able to get his replaced and that resolved his issue (he had a defective motherboard, GPU, and wifi adapter). Regardless of the fix, it's clearly affecting a lot of people with this generation of laptop as well as the previous generation.

1 Message

November 25th, 2020 17:00

You have my support if you proceed with this. I have not been able to use my Dell G7 "gaming" laptop for anything other than web browsing for the past 6 months. This is ridiculous and I am so frustrated with Dell.

12 Posts

November 30th, 2020 02:00

the BIOS update to 1.5 update finally solved the issued for me as seem to have done for others also. the GPU still limited to 1600mhs is now getting to 86c but it does still works so hopefully it will keep on working.

12 Posts

December 2nd, 2020 01:00

Unfortunately the bios 1,5 does not solve the issue. The GPU goes to 86c and then it dies. Why the power or max temperature can not be set.... this is so frustrating... sure I can get it running by opening the window it is cool now which is great. Setting the max frequency for GPU and setting power limit for CPU which makes it also cooler.... what gives? why can I not limit the anything on the GPU if the stock solution does not work ??????

December 4th, 2020 18:00

Someone spending 2000 on a laptop should have to do this. Dell is a big company with teams of people that can fix things. the end user needs their computer function for games or work.not waste countless hours figuring out **bleep** because of a hardware software issue

December 6th, 2020 06:00

Since I removed my cooling pad and only use the laptop on a level surface, I have not had any instances of frame rate dropping. The laptop works very well, it is definitely pushing the limits of power in a small package and does run hot, but performance is very good according to several different types of benchmarking software.

My first tech support experience, initiated through “chat” was horrible but the second experience when I called, was awesome. There were firmware updates applied by the tech that had not been visible to me on the support site before despite looking everywhere, but the main fix was the 1.5 version BIOS. Before this version, it didn’t matter if the unit was flat or if you used a cooling pad or not it still throttled, but with 1.5 and no cooling pad - no problems. 

I may be one of the lucky ones. I was initially in a huge panic when this laptop didn’t work. It was a lot of money in Canada, and the nicest thing I ever bought for myself. I wanted the best video card I could afford in the smallest package and I got that, eventually. 

Be patient with tech support they are good people doing difficult work, if you get the right person you will probably get things sorted out. 

It is unfortunate that all tech hardware and software seems to get sold while still in ‘beta’ and companies rely on customers like us to shake out the bugs ourselves. They should really do this before advertising and selling them but this is not a problem unique to Dell by any means.

• 

25.7K Posts

December 7th, 2020 22:00

Hi,

I'm glad to know that the issue is fixed. Do let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.

Regards,

Gopal

1 Message

December 19th, 2020 06:00

I had exactly the same issue with major FPS drops in 3D high graphics games. Even with the latest 1.5 bios FPS still drops from 130 to 30 - not really acceptable in a laptop with a 2070 Super GPU.  3 calls with tech support did not resolve it. Tried every setting available on the laptop and no fix. Used MSI Afterburner to lower the power curve for the GPU by 300 mhz and that actually worked.

Saw the latest post here and how it was fixed by using the laptop on a level surface and tried it.   

I actually had placed the laptop on a fancy laptop cooling stand which put it at about a 20 degree angle.  Propping two DVD cases under the front of the stand made it level.  Launched my favorite game and frickin amazing! NO FPS DROPS or GPU THROTTLING without undervolting the GPU (via MSI Afterburner).

Still having trouble understanding why this works but it does. Somehow when this laptop is used at an angle either a sensor or the fans don't operate correctly.  Level the laptop out and they do.  

Thank you for this fix! It has worked me, tested for hours and though it gets warm - no FPS drops or throttling after hours of gameplay. 

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

January 12th, 2021 11:00

I had the whole cooling system replaced today by a Technician at home as the CPU fan failed last sunday in attempting to repaste the thing. 

Now the cpu and gpu has Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste on and temps are slightly lower now. Downgraded the bios from 1.6.0 to 1.5.0 as the power limit on cpu was very hard ( 15w constant, now about 80w ).

During gaming, fans are not loud at all anymore and doesn't get as hot as it used to get few days ago + i have upgraded to 64GB ram + 1TB optane ssd.

I think you guys should really repaste the whole thing and check again, but really why the technician replaced also the heatsink is a big question, maybe known issue they won't tell us ?

20 Posts

January 21st, 2021 21:00

WOW...I'm astounded to read the things people are having to do to get their laptop just to play games. Flat level surfaces and no cooling pads etc.? No, no! Don't bandaid the problem by adapting your life around it. Change the machine - this can all be done with software! I have been running flawlessly since, in all temperatures and all games and at all angles, with or without cooling pad! The way this laptop should be. Have a read of this sister thread, as many answers are contained within it: G7 7500 RTX 2070 Drops Framerate - Page 9 - Dell Community

In short, the frame drop gets triggered by overheat from the CPU and/or GPU, putting it into a sort of limp mode for protection. Stop them from overheating in the first place:

1. Get MSI Afterburner. Look up how to unlock undervolting the GPU. Set GPU voltage at 0.8V constant. This will automatically bring down the clock ceiling to 1590mhz instead of 1800+mhz which the GPU was never designed to operate at. Ensure Afterburner says it is running at 1590mhz and 800mV. Run Alienware Command Centre with the Balanced profile and this combination will already fix the frame drop issue for most people. You can go one step further if you are still getting problems:

2. The default profiles in Alienware Command Centre are not really appropriate for gaming, even "Performance". They either lack the fan cooling (Balanced, Quiet) or give you too little or too much power (Cool, Performance). Create your own profile for gaming! Under the Fusion tab, click on the Thermal Profiles section and create a new profile called "Game". Then over in the CPU fan and System Fan monitors, you want to click on the Advanced tab for each of these, where you can set a custom fan speed. By default these will be set to "auto-managed". Click on "offset" and set both fans to 80%. I find this to be a good balance between fan noise and cooling and it's easy enough to change back to "Balance" profile in Alienware Command and the standard voltage level in MSI Afterburner when you are not gaming.

I doubt anyone will have frame drop issues after doing the above, if done correctly and running directly off the power adaptor (battery mode seems to detune the performance). It's unfortunate we have to do it, but I can now use my laptop as it was intended without issue (I have been playing games all day in the Australian summer heat!). Keep in mind, these are still conservative numbers for fan speed and GPU performance so very safe to run for many hours.

2 Posts

February 8th, 2021 08:00

I've got a brand new G7 7700 here with the i7-10750H and a GeForce RTX 2070, also saw severe framerate throttling in games and in benchmarks. I could see the drop primarily in the CPU speed, but also audibly via the fans cutting out despite having them set to the Performance Thermal profile.

Before I begin: BIOS 1.6.0, all Windows Updates, all Dell Software Drivers installed.

Here's how I reproduce the problem:

1. Put the laptop flat on a desk
  2. Open Alienware Command Center
  3. Set the Thermal Profile to "Performance" and the power profile to "High Performance"
  4. Run any benchmark or stress test (Prime95, Dell Support Assist CPU Test, etc)
  5. Watch the CPU Speed, it stays up around 3.0 - 4.0Ghz without dropping over time
  6. Physically lift up the laptop or otherwise move it gently
  7. Leave the benchmarks running
  8. Immediately observe a massive CPU Speed drop to 1.0 - 1.9Ghz
  9. Return the laptop to a flat desk
  10. Wait a few seconds to a few minutes, and watch the CPU Speed recover to 3.0 - 4.0Ghz and stay there

This set of steps also works for major 3D Games. I could watch both the CPU Speed and FPS drop significantly whenever the laptop is lifted or moved, instantly.

So, I set about trying to find a solution to this movement throttling issue.

I ran Ubuntu Linux 20.04 from a stick drive, and started up stress-ng on all 12 logical cores and monitored the CPU speed. This brought the CPU to 100% utilization and the fans to 100%. I let it run for 30 minutes, picked up and laptop, put it down, several times, never seeing a CPU speed drop, it stayed between 3.9 - 4.2 Ghz the entire time and the fans never faltered.

This lead me to believe that this is a software or device in Windows 10 that doesn't trigger the throttling in Linux -- just a hunch, but worth investigating before returning the laptop.

After some digging, I came upon this device in Windows 10: Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver. From what I can tell, it handles acceleration, movement, etc. 

Now, I'm not advising anyone to disable this device, because I'm not 100% sure why it throttles the CPU, and it might well damage your machine if you disable it. I would love Dell to weight in on why it's throttling the CPU. Either way, when I disable that device in Windows 10 Device Manager - I have yet to see any form of CPU throttling or FPS drop whether gaming, benchmarking or anything else, device on lap, desk, cooling pad, etc with Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver disabled.

Dell, is this a matter of a driver update that could fix the issue?

I hope that Dell responds with more clarification as to why this movement/acceleration/level basedthrottling happens.

12 Posts

February 12th, 2021 02:00

This thread is so sad. Sorry to say but this is last dell HW ever. Why is it setup so badly is beyond any though i can muster. All of the fixes all us have posted here are only response to dells failure to deliver a product that they have advertised and we have bought. Getting a laptop one expects the laptop to just simply work the way it was build. I will not go in to saying how well my acer predatow works and how well it is build. I have bought dell to have a decent looking laptop with good specs. Boy was this a big mistake. The only thing that makes sense, including no support what so ever, the obvious suggestions not taken in to consideration. Which by the way demonstrates the lack of actual experience with the HW a is that all the overheating is done on purpose to make the laptop die after warranty, but i hope that is not the case. In any case please do not sell HW that you are not capable to build well.

15 Posts

February 15th, 2021 04:00

To others that couldnt solve it yet...try this

- I could did a lot of tests on my Dell G7 7588 with a i7 8750h and GTX 1050 TI after a lot of search for a solution for the throttling and overheat issue that was driving me crazy when i was playing games. I will share with you my perceptives and possible solution for each one of two points

- First of all i want to clear that the tests was realized on a brazilian summer, when days are very hot arriving until 35°C in my city.

- Second I could noticed that the issue starts when GPU temperature was above 77°C ( i dont know why but if the GPU temperature was below 77°C, the CPU temperature even arriving in 100°C did not drop its clock to 800mhz...)

- As i spoiled above, the throttling starts when CPU drops its clock to 800mhz to down its temperature after arrived to between 96°C~100°C

- The first (possible) solution was disabling intel turbo boost. By doing that, the CPU temperature keeps between 80°C~90°C e throttling has gone. But in this case, the processor clock drops from 4.1ghz (overclocked) to 2.2ghz (its base). In my case i didnt notice any changes in gaming by doing that...(i usually play MMORPG)

- The Second (possible) solution (to users who dont want to disable intel turbo boost) was installing Asus Tweek 2 and blocking GPU temperature to maximum of 74°C. By doing that obviosly the GPU usage was increased and the clock starts vary to keep the temperature defined by asus tweek. This solved the throttling but did not solve the CPU temperature (continued arriving 100°C but this time, without reducing its clock to 800mhz). The intel i7 8750H specs says thats 100°C CPU temperature are safe but i dont recommend that...we know that a lot of other components could not support that and i prefere to use a CPU temperature known as safe

- A lot of people says to repaste processor but i could note thats a hard work and the result its about 1°C~3°C diference from original... so i dont recommend that for hot weather like here...

20 Posts

February 15th, 2021 06:00

The insanity some of you people are going to with continued testing...even after a solution has been found...if you would just read my post at the bottom of page 4, you’ll see a perfect solution to this problem and a bit of an explanation!

1 Message

February 18th, 2021 09:00

Quick question on how to unlock undervolting the GPU using MSI Afterburner. Is this possible to do with all RTX2070 cards and does it require BIOS upgrade to get access?

Thank you.

1 Message

February 24th, 2021 13:00

I cannot use overclocking on my g7 7700 its locked. No tuning at all on Alienware command center. So this wont work for newer 7700 bought aftet the new year.

No Events found!