Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

4 Posts

February 15th, 2019 07:00

Dell Inspiron 15 5000 - Charger stutter issues

Hello, I own an Inspiron 15 5000 for about 2 years now and since the first few weeks I have some issues with my charger that have been getting a lot more troublesome lately.

2 years ago, my only problem was my notebook kept shutting off when I plugged the charger in (It only happen every once in a while), it was annoying, but I managed to live with it.

For about a year, my issue got a lot more serious: The light that used to be on (on the front side of the notebook) when I plugged the charger sometimes won't light up anymore, this is only a problem because, I noticed that, if the light is not on, the notebook may still be charging but it gets a huge performance drop... A good example of that is when I'm watching a video on YouTube without the charger: Everything is fine! But when I plug the charger and the performance drops, the video (and audio) starts to stutter and the RAM/CPU usage goes all the way up.

The only workaround I found was plugging in and out the charger until the light stays on.

THINGS TO BE NOTED:
*I use Windows 10, but I'm pretty sure it won't make a difference with another OS.
*I guess it's not a problem with my energy settings, since I already changed it so many times.
*I hope the charger is not the problem, as if it is, it's faulty since I bought it on a Dell store.
*I'm willing to replace the charger, but I would be glad if I could try every alternative possible before replacing it.

Thank you for your attention!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 16th, 2019 08:00

Does the bios recognize the adapter? Have you ever replaced the battery? 2 years is the average life of battery and that might be the problem. Check the battery status. Does the laptop run fine on just the battery? Did you ever report the problem when it first occurred?

It could be the motherboard adapter connection which is more serious and might require a board replacement. Get it checked out.

You should post your exact model 5000. 

No Events found!