Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

3 Posts

July 9th, 2019 15:00

Dell inspiron 15 3521 will not turn on.

Months back laptop stopped working and was blue screen.

Man in shop said hard drive needed replacing.

Just replaced hard drive (no operating system yet) and RAM with brand new, laptop will still not turn on.

At the front of laptop (when lid closed) I have a white power light when I press the on button.

When I press on button, fan tries and can be heard for 3 seconds then light turns off and nothing happens.

Would appreciate as much help as possible please, with instructions and advice of what to do/get

Thank you in advance!

1 Rookie

• 

96 Posts

July 9th, 2019 16:00

Did you try to press F12 or F2 repeatedly, as soon as you pushed the power button? That way, you can try to enter the BIOS... Also, did you try booting off a USB disk (that has a live OS or installer)? 

3 Posts

July 9th, 2019 20:00

F12 and F2 not currently working, though will try again with OS.

Just gone onto windows site to download and it only gave me option for 8.1, currently just putting it onto a 8gb USB stick. Is that ok if the machine came with windows 8?

I do not have a key, am I right in thinking there is a way to boot it anyway and it will find the key information itself?

Thank you for your help already and quick reply

3 Posts

July 9th, 2019 21:00

2/2

OS on USB stick now, plugged it into all different USB ports, pressed F12, F2 and F8 numerous times though nothing is coming on. 

Do I need to press anything else at the same time?

I have checked that the USB ports are powering by using a USB stick with a light on it to test.

Fan still sounds like it is kicking in for 3 seconds maybe slightly longer, then nothing.

Battery was showing an LED white light at front of laptop constantly when plugged in. Now does not have a light. (Tried with and without it in the laptop)

No Events found!