Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SM

8 Posts

November 21st, 2018 04:00

Disable bitlocker device encryption from bios

Hello,

I have a inspiron 3576  and my windows is dead totally, how can I disable bitlocker device encryption from bios or boot please?

cuz I can’t setup new windows because of it.

8 Posts

My windows is dead and I cant even open safe mode

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

Bitlocker is not hardware-enabled.  It's Windows encryption.

To turn it off, see here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/bitlocker/disable-bitlocker?view=win10-ps

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

November 21st, 2018 05:00

In the other thread you created, you were told how to proceed:  boot the Windows install media and delete all the partitions from the drive.  Then create a new GPT filesystem and re-do the install. Nothing ties bitlocker to a  hardware setting - it's all Windows controlled.  You'll remove all data from the drive before you reload.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

November 21st, 2018 06:00

If they're encrypted, they're useless - delete everything.

8 Posts

November 21st, 2018 06:00

There’re some recovery partitions. What should I do with them?

1 Message

August 1st, 2019 09:00

Can I reinstall Windows 10 (side-by-side) or do a Windows 10 "Refresh," which keeps all files, and then be able to access my old files once I'm logged into the new Windows 10 load?

My problem is that the only user of this machine left the company and we do not have the password for that only user. We can't boot to Command Prompt as it requires the TPM key to be entered. We can't boot to Safe Mode either as it also requires the TPM key to be entered. *We were going to enable the administrator account via command line in one of those modes.

We've tried password cracker program but it can't read the OS drive due to encryption. We've tried the Windows 10 boot crack, which lets you add a new user as an administrator, but it won't let us access the drive due to encryption.

Any ideas on our situation?

1 Message

October 20th, 2019 22:00

Boot to Ubuntu on USB drive, use 3rd party tools to decrypt drive.  Have a great day!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 21st, 2019 06:00

@Sir Mo  BitLocker isn't managed by the BIOS.  If you have your BitLocker Recovery Key and want to back up any data before wiping your system, you can boot into a Windows Recovery environment (from a flash drive or the Windows Recovery partition, which would NOT be encrypted) and then open Command Prompt to use the manage-bde tool to unlock the Windows partition.  From there you could use another application like Explorer++ to copy any data you wanted to back up to some other device.  You'd just need to copy that application to a flash drive first.  If you don't care about backing up your data, just boot into Windows Setup and when you get to the step asking you where you want to install Windows, select every partition on your internal drive and choose to delete each one until your target disk only shows "Unallocated space".  You can always delete a BitLocker partition even if you can't unlock/decrypt it.

Yes, it is possible to set up a new instance of Windows alongside your existing one, but if your existing Windows environment won't boot, then there's not a very good reason to deal with that additional complexity and disk partitioning.  If you just want the data, I explained a way to back up that data in advance so that you can start clean with a new installation.  If you don't care about the data and/or don't have the Recovery Key, then there's no point in keeping the dead Windows installation there.

1 Message

July 12th, 2021 12:00

When my encrypted Windows 10 Inspiron could not reboot, I didn't decrypt anything from the BIOS.  Not directly, anyway.
I booted up to Support Assist to try to recover my machine.  Among other things it asked me to do, it was to "find" the recovery code.  For that, I had to log in to my @hotmail.com account with which I had reset this computer when I bought it, and then showed me three lines of recovery code. ???!!!  Anyway, one of them did unlock my drive and repairs and recovery were done by the program automatically.  After a few hours, I recovered my machine and was able to boot to a login prompt.  Put my name and password (actually, pin) and I got in just fine.

Your situation is strange.  If you are really from an IT department, I would have expected you to prepare that computer for your user and, among other things, generate and then save your recovery key for that laptop before turning it over to your user.  The way it sounds, it's the same situation as if you "stole" the user's laptop and now are trying to steal the user's contents.  It seems your IT department never asserted ownership over your laptop before the user and now you are trying to do the very thing that drive encryption is designed to prevent you from doing.

If that's the case, good luck. 

I'm just sharing my experience so people may know that, if you have asserted ownership of your computer prior to turned it in to your user, you can recover the encryption key right from the screen. For recovery, you can even copy and paste it!

Assert ownership = let laptop install Windows 10 and use a corporate Microsoft e-mail prior to the drive getting encrypted.  Your Microsoft email account will automatically store the recovery key in the cloud.  That e-mail account, in addition, should be the first user account in that computer.

Again, good luck.

1 Message

August 5th, 2021 03:00

BROOOOO U SAVED ME SO MUCH TIME, I JUST HAD TO DELETE THE PARTITIONS OH MY LORD TYYYY

1 Message

August 27th, 2023 14:39

I purchase used equipment sold by various vendors and this occurs often.  I had a defective motherboard on one unit and had to replace it.  Implying that someone is trying to rob someone s data is not proper on a forum like this .

No Events found!