Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

39 Posts

December 30th, 2019 07:00

G5 5587 Keyboard Problems

I have been having some problems with my keyboard on my Dell G5 5587 laptop. A column of keys have stopped working: 2,w,s,x. Recently I replaced the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU (nightmare). In the process I had to unplug all the ribbon cables and then plug them back in later. I have since used canned air to clean the ribbon cable and the connector and I have re-seated the cable at least three times to to no avail. However the keys aren't completely dead. I have noticed that sometimes If I hold down one of the non-functional keys and press the key to the right of it (for example hold down s and press d) it will work. Also if I do this enough and tap the non-functional keys enough they can temporarily start working again, however they sometimes stop working again and they always seem to stop working after I restart or go into and back out of sleep mode. I have also tried reinstalling drivers twice and it doesn't do anything. A new keyboard isn't that much but replacing it is a huge pain in the *** for this laptop. Because of me working on the laptop recently and since it is a whole column, part of me thinks it is a hardware problem, but since it didn't happen for a few weeks afterwards and came on slowly and because of them working sometimes part of me thinks it is a software problem. Anyone else had this problem before? Any advise? Also how much would it cost to send it to dell to be fixed of of warranty?

1 Message

April 12th, 2020 07:00

Same issue, i bought the laptop in august 2018, the problem i think was appear like 5 month ago or maybe first i don't remember exactly. I use the laptop connected to a external monitor and a keyboard so i don't care stand so much on the problem, but when i have to use the laptop's keyboard is like a pain , just press so much and so strong then eventually the keybutton start to run again.

I have the problem with the following keybutton: 2 , w , s, x , Capslock.

I have to say that i never open the laptop or do strange stuff on it, i only clean that with air in the fan.

April 12th, 2020 18:00

Same problem here with the same row of keys 2wsx and can also get the s to work by hitting sd. This seems too specific to be a hardware issue unless its a defect of the keyboard. 

3 Posts

April 24th, 2020 11:00

Did anyone find a solution??

1 Message

May 2nd, 2020 09:00

Same problem. No malware. Keys will randomly stop working and others will then act as shortcuts to various screens in the OS. Have all ease of use measures turned off.

1 Message

May 10th, 2020 15:00

Same row is giving me issues. Sometimes it works fine, other times not at all. I've just discovered that if I type the letter to the right of the row it will type the troublesome row too. This makes writing very difficult although it's better than doing without the letters I need. The fact that this specific problem is happening to a lot of people all at once, same row, is rather suspicious. 

1 Message

May 11th, 2020 00:00

ame here

can omebody at dell look into thi obviou bug ? it i o frutrating !!!

3 Posts

May 13th, 2020 14:00

I'm eperiencing the ame problem: a you can imagine, it' infuriating...

The letter that are not orking are the one reported by other people, of coure I cannot rite them becaue they don't ork: grrr

1 Message

May 20th, 2020 07:00

Same thing happens with my laptop (dell G5 15 5587). The w, s, x, 2 & Caps Lock works intermittently. It is incredibly frustrating. Please, any fix for this?

2 Posts

May 25th, 2020 08:00

I am having the same problem and I have identified these keys:  W, S, Capslock

It started around May 20, 2020.

Other info:

- I primarily notice this in a game I play, DayZ, but it happens in windows too (e.g. notepad, press the start button and start typing).

- If I hold down E when W isn't working, W works.

- IF I hold down D when S isn't working, S works.

I applied the latest updates with no success.

*RANT ON*

Very disappointed with DELL.

- When I bought this laptop games were unplayable because of the way it was configured out of the box (swap file NOT on SSD)

- I get the same survey spam email from them after I filled it out.

- Tons of spam asking me to pay for additional support.

My last laptop lasted 5 years WITH NO PROBLEMS until I had to replace the fan (probably because I didn't dust enough in my apartment).

*RANT OFF*

Please fix this DELL.

5 Posts

June 4th, 2020 11:00

Hi all.

Did not work keys WSX2 and Caps Lock, after installing the BIOS v1.13.0, everything worked.   I hope that there will be no changes.

June 10th, 2020 23:00

after updating to bis v 1.13.0, still doesn't work for me

June 14th, 2020 21:00

I have thi problem with my brand new Dell G5 5500, but with lots of rows of keys, even the spacear! This typing is unedited and you can tell howbad it can be! One thing I tried is oldin one of the intermttent keys down in googl an sawthat it paused i nincrements of about a secod. i am curentl running Dell Update to see if pdatig stuff heps. Wish me luck! I will update whether it worksornot. 

June 15th, 2020 06:00

I have exactly the same problem. 2,w,s,x do not work.

Sometimes they work, if I press the button next to them at the same time. 

Please answer this Dell. 

Thanks for your help.

June 15th, 2020 12:00

Have a similar issue with the G5 5590 - although it seems to be all keys i have random drop outs.

Tried in safe-mode but still the same. Perhaps a thermal problem with the heat damaging keyboard? Its only 3 months old though, so still i warrenty

June 15th, 2020 13:00

I think i found the problem (which might help some users here?)

I had a USB-C cable plugged into the thunderbolt port that seems to interrupt the keyboard key stokes....

Probably an issue with the cable which interferes with the keyboard polling?

No Events found!