Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2019 07:00

G5 5587 fps drops

Dell g5 5587 gtx 1060 Max q design Fps drops I've been playing cs go and suddenly the fps goes from 120-150 to 25-10 This problem heppend to me before and after talking to Dell and many things after I switched my laptop and the same problem was there and I update everything bios and things like this nothing helps can anyone help me?

July 4th, 2019 10:00

I literally bought mine less that a year ago and now all games are unplayable after only using it for 10 months or so. I've tried everything to fix these fps issues but nothing is fixing the problem. I used to be able to play any game at over 80-90 fps and for the last 4 months or so they all run at max 60 fps and drop to 10-20 every one minute or so (making it unusable). This is so frustrating as I bought this laptop thinking that it would be able to run all game at high and ultra setting (@120 fps). This is supposed to be a gaming laptop.. very disappointing.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

January 28th, 2019 06:00

Hi HelloIAmUri,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as you expected.

Unfortunately, the system was not tested using Counter Strike Go.  You may wish to contact the game manufacturer for support.  

Meanwhile, please run a systems diagnostics to see if there are any hardware issues.  Run Dell SupportAssist, make a note of any error messages encountered, and post back. 

If the system has no errors and is performing well using programs like email, internet, or productivity software like Excel, or Word, then the system should be functioning as designed.

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -

29 Posts

March 7th, 2019 16:00

Are you running on battery or with the laptop plugged in? On battery you may experience lower performance. glen

1 Message

May 2nd, 2019 15:00

You do realize that you are marketing this laptop as mid tier gaming laptop? If it's not designed for gaming, you should not market it as one. If you think a gaming laptop is designed to only run excel, word and web pages, something is truly wrong in your department, and you should give these kinds of cases to someone actually qualified to give support in these kinds of issues.

1 Message

June 18th, 2019 00:00

So you expect us to use a gaming laptop to run excel and send email?

• 

17K Posts

July 8th, 2019 07:00

Kyriakospap,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number.

1 Message

December 16th, 2019 08:00

Why is this marked as a solution????

I can't see any suggested fix here... still having the issue with my Dell G5 5590.

I have checked that I have the latest bios all drivers are up to date. I have even tried using the Alienware command center to force my laptop to use the best thermal and power management profiles. Same thing with Nvidia control panel and no joy...

I am going to try using the Dell power manager app to force GPU and CPU to run at max capacity when required... I hope this works because unfortunately, this is a bit too expensive to put with other trash people waste their money on.

Really disappointed in dell "Gaming" Laptops.

7 Posts

March 14th, 2020 20:00

That is not a solution!

solution = a means of solving a problem or dealing with a difficult situation

7 Posts

March 14th, 2020 20:00

I received a 5587 for Xmas in 2018, going the economical route instead of going with the preferred Razer.

Until a few months ago it was fine, but like everyone else on this board I am experiencing frame rate drops down to 7 FPS at times, and my GPU running  at only 18%. Typically I am limited to a max of 48 FPS This is with nothing else running on the computer!

I've re-installed all the drivers and set performance levels to absolute minimum in order to hopefully stabilize the system, and naturally it did nothing to alleviate the issue.

I have a MacBook Air from school from which I can send emails and use productivity software (???) , so the fact that  dell-robert p said this is absolutely ludicrous...

'If the system has no errors and is performing well using programs like email, internet, or productivity software like Excel, or Word, then the system should be functioning as designed.'

Worst of all is when I tried to contact Dell to answer a basic question they put their hand up, sang me the 'out of warranty song' and pushed me out the door.

I'm a 15 year old kid with limited resources...now what am I supposed to do with this brick?

Like one poster said, don't market it as a 'gaming laptop' if ceases to be able to do so after a year and a half.

Disappointed with Dell in every single way.

7 Posts

March 17th, 2020 18:00

Dell just got back to me a day after we submitted the results of a system diagnostic, one that yielded zero errors/faults. They have determined that it is ‘software related problem’  that is causing our lowered fps and gpu performance. Having no clue what the issue actually is, they have offered us three tiers of service to remotely address an as yet undiagnosed problem, services that range in cost for between $130 and $250...this 3 months out of  a one year warranty!

Of course, stressing our savings by choosing one of their ’support’ bundles...

So, we are expected to pay 1/4 of the computer's purchase price to ‘maybe’ fix the problem?!?!

Say what you will about Apple, they will at least help you, no matter how old, useless and decrepit the product may be.

Dell, you are a terrible company!

Thanks for absolutely nothing!

March 18th, 2020 03:00

Yea after a year or so of trying to fix it I still havent been able to up my frame rate. Long story short I ve stopped gaming entirely because if i continued trying with this brick i would've probably smashed it into pieces. I ve taken it apart a couple of times over the course of this year and cleaned as much of the dust that came through the vents as I could but I think the damage is done. I cant be sure what issue has been but I am pretty sure it's not just a software issue. And the fact that dell is telling people to pay 150-200£ to attempt to remotely fix the problem is kinda scummy. The lesson from this story is if you want a serious gaming machine save up and either buy a quality laptop or a desktop. These mid-range gaming laptops are a trap. 

3 Posts

March 26th, 2020 18:00

hi i have had this computer for a year and for the last six month the performance has been terrible the cpu usage goes down 50 % and frames in games go down to 1 when plugged in and i have updated all the needed drivers.the laptop is getting power throttled how can i fix that

7 Posts

March 26th, 2020 20:00

Total nightmare....

First, because it was 3 months out of warranty I HAD to purchase a new extended warranty ($160) before anyone would even talk to me. Did that, followed by multiple 90 min-2hour phone/remote trouble shooting sessions.

Low GPU performance and frame rate drops still occurred after all the updates were done remotely. I was told they would dispatch a new motherboard and GPU (Nvidia I was assuming) to be installed at my house this past Tuesday. CPU installed, but now Nvidia not being recognized, and by virtue of that, my HDMI port (connected to Nvidia graphics card) also not recognized.

2 more hours with support...Nvidia now recognized, but Frame rate issue still occurring. Still not sure why the dedicated graphics card was not replaced at the same time as CPU. They stress tested it remotely, but it could have been that the GPU was failing and it defaulted to the Intel integrated graphics card which would never be able to handle the games my son plays. So, Tuesday I was told a new CPU and GPU (Nvidia) would be dispatched for tech visit and install today (Thursday). I get a call from the guy managing the case  asking how things were going, I said they weren't, and that support had ordered another dispatch of parts for repair. He tells me nothing is in the system for dispatch(!?!?!?!?).

So, after all this my sole option is to ship it now to a Dell Service Center, thus prolonging the process. Rationale being that if tech who replaced CPU came out again to replace CPU and GPU he still wouldn't run a complete diagnostic of software and hardware, 'not his job' I ws told. The CoronaVirus hasn't made this any easier for Dell or us.

This is my son's gaming laptop. We come from an Apple world, and say what you will about Apple, at a certain point they will just replace the computer. As pissed as I am, my only goal now, with us all being stuck the house, is that he will at least be  able to connect with his friends while gaming as they have been confined for the last few weeks. 

Not so with Dell, they require you to go through all of the steps...ALL of the steps, which is fine except when the home visit didn't even leave me one step forward, I was in fact 2 steps back, needing to get the computer to first recognize the Nvidia before we could even see if the motherboard replacement fixed the original issue.

3 months out of warranty what choice does one have? Pay for the extended warranty or be left with a paperweight or a gaming laptop incapable of gaming. I'm waiting for for the shipping box to arrive tomorrow when I'll send the laptop off for a complete service.

I'll update with performance results following the repair, if they indeed repair it.

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2020 16:00

man i don't know what is happening. this is supposed to be a mid range laptop i understand and with a 1050ti it's not outstanding. but all i want is to get the performance that my laptop can get. im fine with low framerates as long as it's normal, my specs aren't bad. its just this laptop

42 Posts

May 3rd, 2020 23:00

Are you guys sure that it's not just cpu thermal throttling?

I got mine 5587 i5 8300+1060MQ November 2018 - I got issues as everybody, this laptop isn't very good, now I wouldn't buy Dell "gaming series" but you can make is usable. I had Couple of issues:

1. Idiotic fans behaviour - fixed with bios update, not an issue now (Dell Power Menagement, Fans on ULTRA)

2. CPU Thermal Throttling - there are 3 fixes, but one gives you the most. I did UnderVolting -0,400Volt so cpu got a lot less power ( less power=less heat in nut shell), UnderClocking to 3,7GHz (pains me to do so but games run maybe 1-2FPS worse than at 3,9GHz earlier but at least it is solid framerate), repaste - didn't do it laptop is still on warranty. Probably I won't ever do it. It is much more likely I'll sell mine this year.

3. GPU Power Limit Throttling - You need to adjust power curve of gpu in MSI afterburner. I got mine at 1860MHz Core at 0,880Volt - This is max OC and UV I can do, if I go 1861MHz i is limited by power of MAXQ design. Adding more voltage only makes it run hotter but it won't go above 1860MHz. Keep in mind, if you do something similar your card will be diffrent than mine (better :)?) never again MaxQ. I advise you to do the same. You can make your own "maxQ" by lowering voltage.

Try to use HWInfo to check if it got to high temps, maybe try AIDA64 to check if it throttles. Check on YT BobOfAlltrades - very easy guide to make it usable. Remember you are doing it at your own risk, but in my opinion it is very minimal risk.

No Events found!