Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

2 Posts

October 8th, 2018 12:00

Imaging Device missing in Device Manager -- Inspiron 15 5578

My integrated webcam is not working and I've tried several solutions, but find that "Imaging Device" is missing from my device manager.  I was instructed to contact support -- but my computer is out of warranty.  Ideas?

2 Posts

October 8th, 2018 13:00

Thank you, Mary.  The problem I am having is that the face recognition for signing in is not working (it says "unable to access camera.").  Skype works and I've checked the permissions.  Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 8th, 2018 13:00

The camera will not be listed under Imaging Devices. That is for scanners.  Cameras are listed in Device Manager under Cameras. Check the info here under windows 10--

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln85507/dell-webcam-and-dell-webcam-central-software-guide?lang=en

To test your camera open an app that uses it such as Skype.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

October 8th, 2018 18:00

@Kimmcc wrote:

Thank you, Mary.  The problem I am having is that the face recognition for signing in is not working (it says "unable to access camera.").  Skype works and I've checked the permissions.  Any ideas?

When did it stop working?

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

October 8th, 2018 20:00

Have you tried reinstalling the drivers?

https://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cadhs1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=TWVGH&osCode=WT64A&productCode=inspiron-15-5578-2-in-1-laptop

And take a look at the page Mary referred to. Some useful information there.

1 Message

November 16th, 2020 12:00

I have the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop running windows 10 home.
The device driver for the integrated webcam seems to randomly uninstall itself leaving the windows USB webcam driver which I've never installed for a device that I don't have (must have been a windows auto update which I am unable to disable).
Every time this happens, I have to delete the USB webcam driver then shutdown the laptop. The original integrated webcam driver seems to reinstall itself most of the time.
I don't know what to tell you if you can't even log in to your PC/laptop to change your device because of face recognition.

No Events found!