Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 7th, 2019 21:00

Inspiron 13 5368 fails to boot but does seem to power on.

My kid gave me her 5368 to troubleshoot because it fails to boot. When you press the power button the unit powers up, both the screen and keyboard backlights turn on, the fan spins up but nothing else happens. No prompts, no beeps, but the lights begin to fade on and off taking about 2-3 seconds to go thru the on/off cycle. The power light follows the same cycle and stays white in color. I have attached the laptop to a monitor using 3 different HDMI cables and 2 different monitors; neither monitor recognized a signal and there was no change in light on/off cycle. The unit only attempts to power on when plugged in, unplugged it fails to do anything other than light up briefly than turn off. I pulled the battery and tested both the memory and the hard drive in separate machines; they both test fine. I'm leaning towards a defective MOBO from the lack of signal in the HDMI but wanted to put this out here to see if I'm missing something with this model. Any help would be appreciated and yes it is out of warranty. 

1 Message

July 11th, 2019 12:00

Just had the exact same issue recently. We ended up removing the hard drive entirely wand draining the motherboard of power by removing the cmos battery and actual battery and holding the power button for around 5 minutes. This allowed the computer to actually reboot. You will have to reset your date and time settings and swap off legacy boot back to windows uefi. 

It looks like it lost power during a bios update that dell pushed through windows, it immediately attempted to finish said update upon actually booting.

Hope this helps.

July 14th, 2019 20:00

Thanks for the info, even though I had pulled everything once, I hadn't left then unplugged long enough. I pulled the batteries, drained the system and walked away for an hour. Put it all back together and it booted to the bios updater. A couple reboots and updates later she was back in business. 

August 4th, 2020 20:00

@JDetnerski hey, i have the same problem now, in 2020. When you unplugged the batteries and hard drive. did you also disconnect the charger? and when you drained the battery was the laptop opened or closed?

August 6th, 2020 09:00

pull charger plug and battery then hold down the power button for 5-10 seconds. 

No Events found!