Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

November 15th, 2018 09:00

Inspiron 13-7370, LCD won't wake up

I have an Inspiron 13-7370 running Windows 10 build 1803.

If the display turns off due to the normal power saving setting, it won't turn back on.  I have to hold the power button down to force the machine to turn off, then reboot it.

This doesn't happen if I initiate a sleep or hibernate action (manually, or by closing the lid).  It only happens when the timer to turn off the display is triggered.  I've tried resetting the power plan to the default settings, but it made no difference.  I'm running the latest BIOS/UEFI version, and I'm running the latest graphics drivers from Intel for the i5-8250U (Intel UHD Graphics 620).

This started a couple of months ago.  The only thing I've been able to do is set the display to never turn off.  When the problem occurs, the keyboard LED lights up, but i can't get the display to come back on, and I can't get the system to rexpond to anything else.  (I've tried running commands with the display off, such as windows+r, shutdown -r -t 0, enter for a restart.  I've tried closing the lid then reopening it to try to trigger sleep mode.  Etc.)

Is this a known issue?  Is there an actual solution?

2 Posts

January 26th, 2020 01:00

Hi all,

I got the Inspiron 13-7370 for my daughter back in Dec 2017. 

She had been complaining about this issue from day 1, but I assumed it was something she had done, i.e. some software she installed, a bad driver etc.  I finally got sick of her leaving her computer on all the time (she disabled sleep mode to stop this issue) and have spent ALL DAY trying to fix it - going as far as completely reinstalling Windows (several times)

The issue persists.  And after reading this thread, it seems it is likely a hardware issue.  However, the warranty expired in Dec 2018. 

I'm already behind monetarily - her battery is completely wrecked from leaving it on all the time so have had it replaced.  Her screen is showing signs of wear too.  This laptop was supposed to last her 3 years. 

Is it worth trying to renew the warranty to get this replaced?  

Or do I just ... well, never buy a Dell again?

23 Posts

January 28th, 2020 20:00

If possible, I'd try force installing the older driver linked on page 8 or 9 of this thread. I don't run this as my main laptop, however this driver stabilized the issue for me for a solid week of testing. It makes sense as the issue didn't happen initially (and I bought the laptop in early 2018) but rather began *at some point* prior to January 2019.

2 Posts

February 29th, 2020 11:00

It's our first and definitely our last!!

March 27th, 2020 21:00

Any updates to this? 
13 Inspiron 7370 with this issue and I’m sick of having to revert to outdated drivers...

1 Message

April 3rd, 2020 12:00

I was having the same problem, but then I discovered something. You can press down on the trackpad and there is a click. When I did this the laptop woke up immediately. I don't know if this will work for everyone, but since it worked for me I thought I would post about it.

5 Posts

April 26th, 2020 12:00

Same request for updates; this thread has been very helpful

If possible, could @kbj0001 @jmsfll update their progress? I will also try @dekstop 's suggestion

I now have Windows 1903 and Intel UHD Graphics 620 v26.20.100.7263. This also started happening to me just before 2019, with varying frequency.

Thanks

23 Posts

April 26th, 2020 15:00

I have somewhat given up at this point. Even reverting back to an older driver did not seem to stay 'fixed'. I have since (again) wiped the machine and reinstalled the OS from a Dell Restore USB stick, and then methodically upgraded Windows, allowed SupportAssist to install/upgrade drivers, etc. And the issue remains. And Dell doesn't seem to want to acknowledge that this machine has an issue - hence we are all stuck. A number of us have been posting about this issue for over a year now.

On top of this I have discovered that this machine eats a battery every year. My first one was still covered under warranty but now 14 months later, the on board Diagnostics have told me that my battery needs replacement. I chatted with Support who said 'batteries are consumables'. I would agree with that statement, but EVERY YEAR? I have another brand laptop in the house that has been in service for 12 years (!) and it has gone thru 3 batteries in those 12 years. 

I have zero faith in this machine and it is only 2 years old. When it operates correctly it is awesome - fast, beautiful screen, nice trackpad, etc. But it has such power/video issues that I really cant trust it for much anymore.

5 Posts

April 28th, 2020 09:00

Thank you very much!

I did try @dekstop 's suggestion, and it didn't work for me. How long did you hold it for?

I'm stuck with this Dell laptop for now (out of warranty too), and I hope it stays functional enough to get school work done.

I wonder if newer Dell laptops still have issues like these...

June 2nd, 2020 13:00

Hi, I m facing with this issues for 2 years.  my PC is currently out of warrantly and any driver of hardware could not help me.

In addition to this problem, my product can not reboot. when i try to reboot it, it always stucks in somewhere, but stupidly it can shutdown and start. 

5 Posts

June 2nd, 2020 16:00

Hello @sametkocatepe ,

Regarding failing to start up at all, try pressing F2 or F12 after you hit the power button. My laptop failed to boot up after trying to restart to complete an update (running into the usual mysterious problem), and pressing F2 allowed it to move on to the Dell boot-up screen and finally open.

Best wishes

1 Message

June 3rd, 2020 11:00

I bought an inspiron 7370 (used, so there is no warrienty) and same issue... I hope dell will find a solution for it.
workraound: I set screensaver as black and sleep timer for 30minutes but at the moment not clear for me is the screen off or sleep the rootcause of this issue  

June 5th, 2020 02:00

I have the same problem. When is DELL doing something about it. My laptop worked just fine when I bought it. So it must be a faulty software update!

1 Message

June 5th, 2020 03:00

The problem you are experiencing with your 7370 not waking, might actually be caused by it not actually going to sleep properly.
There are a number of checks you can try.
If you choose the Windows user interface to put the laptop to sleep is it possible to wake from there - the choice of Shutdown, Restart, Sleep?
When you put your laptop to sleep with it running off battery and leave it for some time, does the battery level go down quicker than you would expect for a real sleep?
When you put your laptop to sleep and leave it on a surface with poor air-circulation, does the CPU fan come on after a while or does the base of the laptop stay warm?
As soon as you put the laptop to sleep and put your ear next to the middle part of the grill on the base, do you hear any crackles or whistles?
If your experiences match the above, your laptop might have a hardware problem.

13 Posts

June 19th, 2020 21:00

No luck.  Nothing works.   Every hope of suggestions, the issue comes back.   Very frustrating.  Next purchase will not be Dell

13 Posts

June 19th, 2020 21:00

You are lucky.  I was pissed when I realized I had used my Discover card which had just ended extended warranty one month prior to my purchase.    I now will close my Discover once I use my cashback and guess what my next computer purchase will not be

No Events found!