Solved!

Go to Solution

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

June 21st, 2022 11:00

Inspiron 14 N4050: replace CMOS battery (a.k.a. BIOS battery) - sealed

CMOS battery.jpg

I have the laptop open to clean out dust and do new thermal paste. I want to replace the CMOS battery, but it's a sealed unit. The battery is covered in plastic with wires exiting from the plastic "envelope".

Is it possible to open it up and replace with a standard coin cell battery, connecting the wires to the bare metal battery?

Or, must I buy one of those sealed units like what I removed?

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

June 21st, 2022 11:00

There's a CR-2032 lithium battery inside -- yes, you can replace just the battery.  Just wrap the leads tightly in dielectric tape (soldering or heating not recommended -- the battery is not going to stand up to heat without dramatic effect).

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

June 21st, 2022 12:00

Yes you can 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzr7Mbm1L3k

you can also buy the complete assembly , 10$ max

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

June 21st, 2022 14:00

Thank you ejn63 and XPS_Man

I need to see if I have any high-heat resistant tape on hand, or a wide diameter heat-shrink tubing.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

June 22nd, 2022 11:00

In the video you linked, could you understand why he needed to fit the old blue shrink-wrap ring around the new battery? I didn't see the point, since he slipped the battery and contacts in heat shrink tube anyway. I can't see what benefit the old ring provides.

1 Message

April 25th, 2023 08:00

Hello filbert,

I wish this message finds you well.

I really want to know if you found the solution. Because my Laptop (Dell Inspiron N4050) is stucking at 1/3 splash bar of starting and I tried to replace RAM, Hard drive and other solutions but didn't work for me. I want to ask you if the CMOS Battery could be the problem, If so Did you replace it by your own and worked for you?

No Events found!