Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

13 Posts

October 30th, 2019 06:00

Inspiron 3521 startup continuous beep(literally continuous) and won’t start

I own an Inspiron 3521

Over the past couple of weeks, when I hit the power button, there is just continuous beep. 
Initially, I searched the forum for beep indicators and there are codes for each number. One beep thru 7. But mine, it’s just continuous. 

Findings : 

1) Hit the power button - continuous beep

2) No display on the screen 

3) FN + Power doesn’t work. Just the same continuous beep.

4) Ctrl + Escape Bios recovery not loading, but I don't know what BIOS I have. I don't know if it's 1 or 2 or 3. I remember updating the BIOS to A11 like 2 years ago.

5) Drained static power by removing all power sources and holding the power button for 2 min straight 

6) Removed HDD and RAM, waited for an hour, reassembled then back, no luck

7) there is just no display. No dell logo, no bios troubleshoot, no dell troubleshoot. 

8] Tried USB Boot, but boot screen itself is not loading. Bios itself not loading.

9] Bought a new CMOS and replaced the old with new, Still same problem.

Luck: I just left the lap for a while and when I hit the power button it just magically boots and everything was fine. I had an update (Windows) and restarted and everything went back to beeping again.

Reason : I badly need the lap to work as I do all my personal and (at times) official work in it. I could just take the HDD, connect it to Internal-to-external converter to use it, but I wouldn't want that, certainly when I can find a way to work around this problem.

can someone please help me. 

ps : I am well versed in dismantling, configuring things in my own, and I’d like to do these things myself. Still no luck. 

October 30th, 2019 09:00

Hey @JOcean ,

Please don't mind, but I strongly advise you to read the complete content and facts I have posted and reply accordingly.

I have clearly mentioned in points that the BIOS itself doesn't boot up and the screen itself is black and blank all the time. There is nothing coming up. There is no Splash screen. There is no dell logo to proceed with.

Furthermore, I have gone through almost all of the posts in the forum and including yours and you just post the same template again. Please don't do that, it really makes people feel irritated.

Coming back to the point, check the facts again. The display wont start. So kindly share something to check or do that would actually make it work.

Thanks and Regards,

Santhosh S

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

October 30th, 2019 09:00

Run diagnostics, if possible, and pay attention to the RAM results. If you have more than one RAM module just try running the system with 1 RAM module installed. If you still get the beep then try the other RAM module. Also be sure to try the RAM one at a time first in one slot then in the other.

To run diagnostics restart the system and at the Dell splash screen start tapping F12. Run full diagnostics.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

October 30th, 2019 10:00

You did not however mention if you tried each RAM module. You only stated that you removed them.

Sorry that my suggestion was not on point. Only trying to help out. Perhaps another user can be of some help.

October 30th, 2019 10:00

Hi @JOcean 

"6) Removed HDD and RAM, waited for an hour, reassembled then back, no luck"

I thought this would be pretty clear. Sorry if we got on the wrong foot here, I did try everything thats mentioned on my above thread.

Also I found something else, One of the forum comment mentioned, try heating your PC by wrapping the Laptop in a warm towel for 5-10 mins and try boot again. Luckily that worked. And there was a reason stating that there could be some cold solder in the board that could cause the same.

But I check for any cold solders visibly using a magnifying glass, but things to be right where they are.

In fact I am posting this reply using my troubled laptop. But I am sure if I restart the system, things may go haywire again.

So I guess considering the things I posted here and the clarified facts, could you take a guess at what wrong here. I promise we can have a clean slate irrespective of our previous endevour.

Thanks and Regards,

Santhosh S

1 Message

May 7th, 2021 08:00

I'm not sure If I am posting my solution late or not. But I hope someone will benefit from it. I had the same problem that you mentioned . I tried the following.

1- Cleaned/changed the RAM's

2-Changed the CMOS cell

3-Removed power cord & battery & pressed the power button for 30 sec than 1 min

4-Tried to run it with & without battery

5-Run the f12 diagnostic at startup

Nothing of the above worked .

I downloaded the old version of bios 3521A12.

I was running 3521A16.

So technically I downgraded to A12 from A16.

And bingo that did the Job. I have tested it like 24 times in 2 days and thanks to ALLAH it is performing normally.

I hope someone benefits from it.

1 Message

November 14th, 2021 04:00

I'm having the same issue with 13521.My guess here is the chipset getting very hot, however i don;t know where the colt sodler may be;
Did you have any success finding any solving to this?

1 Message

April 11th, 2023 07:00

I too have same problem does anything worked?

As you faced it 4 years before

No Events found!