Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

13 Posts

January 2nd, 2020 04:00

Inspiron 5482 2-in-1; Service Tag Not Found; Bad Wireless Connection

So it started with a horrid WIFI connection.  I've checked other machines and devices and all get expected speeds on my network in excess of 500 Mbps.  This Inspiron 5482 2-in-1 is getting speeds of 0.3 Mbps.  I purchased two of these machines for my daughters for Christmas.  One is working as expected with good wifi speeds but this one is not.

I went to the support website to try and check for issues and when detecting my PC I receive an error message saying, "There is no match for that Service Tag or product ID.  Please try again, auto-detect or choose from all products.  I've tried entering my  manually with no success.  I've verified the service tag via the command prompt as well as on the side of the box.

All drivers are up to date.  Dell Update, run from the PC via an ethernet connection was able to download drivers and they have been updated.  The Intel Wireless-AC 9560 was one of the drivers updated. Before and after the driver update, the adapter card keeps giving two error codes.  Code 10 and Code 43 and won't stay connected.

Windows is up to date as well.  The problem existed right out of the box before any updates were installed.

Edited To Add:
-  SMBIOSBIOSVersion 2.5.0
-  Dell System Update says the Wireless Driver Is:  Intel(R) PRO/Wireless Driver Version 20.110.0000.0563
-  Looking at the Driver in Device Manager the Driver is; 21.50.1.1

13 Posts

Thank you for the reply.  The first letter is an 8.  I copied it directly from the Command Prompt.

C:\Users\xxxxx>wmic bios get serialnumber
SerialNumber
xxxxxxx

The other computer is powered down. It is not interfering.

Unfortunately, I can't get to Tech Support Via the Web Site to even chat because Dell is not recognizing the service tag to pass the gate to the next level.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

You entered the service tag code number incorrectly. It is actually a B not an 8 as the first character. Having said that you should not post the service tag number in the forum for your own security.

It could very well be that the Wifi hardware is having a problem and more so since you have 2 identical systems and one works without a problem. Code 10 is usually a driver problem but code 43 means that Windows has detected a hardware problem. I would call Dell tech support in your region as they can assist with repairing the issues.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

Trust me on this...type in the service tag number with a B instead of an 8 at the Dell support site and see what you get. I got the correct laptop and configuration. Why it displays an 8 I do not know but with a B instead typed in at support, it seems to display the correct system.

Possibly a moderator can get involved at this point.

And no I did not mean the other system interferes. I meant that you have 2 identical systems. One works and one does not.

13 Posts

January 2nd, 2020 05:00

I agree with you there is a service tag out there that is starting with a B instead of an 8.  I typed it in.  Unfortunately, that Service Tag starting with a B is not mine.  The express service code and the warranty expiration dates are incorrect.  I purchased my computer in December not September. 

Unless the machine were purchased in September then returned and a new Service Tag assigned but not updated in the system and the computer subsequently resold, that one is not my machine.  I can't imagine Dell selling a machine as new when it was not.

Thank you again for taking a look at it.  I appreciate it.

13 Posts

January 2nd, 2020 11:00

Bump. 

Anyone one from the Dell MOD team that can help?  I'm in a circular firing squad on this one as I can't get support without valid Service Tag and I need support to help sort out my Service Tag issue.

13 Posts

January 2nd, 2020 12:00

Message sent.  Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

January 2nd, 2020 12:00

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to investigate this & assist you further. I have sent a private message to you requesting for some details of the system. Please share the same, we will be glad to assist you.

No Events found!