Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

4 Posts

April 5th, 2020 11:00

Inspiron 5593 - Keyboard keys not working at times

I purchased the new Dell Inspiron 5593, i5 a month back.

Recently i have started noticing issues with few keys in the lower end of the inbuilt keyboard.

Keys such as the spacebar, b, n, right, left, down and 2 in the numberpad aren't working occasionally. It's more like they freeze and require multiple attempts to get them to work. and even then it runs on one tap ( e.g when i tap b once it appears as 'bbbb' on screen.

I tried updating the bios, checking for the status of keyboard through f12 mode. it works fine when i'm troubleshooting as well.

It's really frustrating when i'm constantly working.

@Anonymous

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

April 5th, 2020 12:00

@Meg1929 

You are still under warranty, so you would need to contact Dell tech support to get the keyboard replaced or repaired. Not sure what the turnaround time would be.

I would use an external keyboard if you need this laptop to work from home and cannot be without the laptop.

4 Posts

April 6th, 2020 01:00

is a  replace really necessary ?

1 Message

April 8th, 2020 12:00

Hi,

I've got very similar problems with keyboard to ones you described. Even with similar keys but from the lower part of keyboard (including enter, shift, ctrl, alt, z, c, b, n, m, etc.) I've reinstalled BIOS setup and returned to the version 1.6.1 from before 24th March. But it did not help.

2 Posts

April 15th, 2020 01:00

@Anonymous, it's the second time I suffer this problem in less than 6 month. The keyboard was replaced on December but I suspect it's a ventilation matter related. 

2 Posts

April 19th, 2020 01:00

I'm experiencing this problem for the second time too.

A couple of months ago I send back the laptop and it has been fixed; very good, everything was working.

Now again...it's been a couple of days since some buttons are not working, or, at least, they don't work 100% of the times.

I think I will send the to computer to them again since it's under warranty. It's so annoying, actually I really need my computer, I cannot afford staying without it for 2 weeks.

• 

25.1K Posts

April 19th, 2020 07:00

Hi pk50s, we have replied to you privately for the details on collection of the system. ^AM

2 Posts

Thanks but I'll go for the second option since the laptop it's still under warranty

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

@pk50s 

1. send it back under warranty

or

2. use USB keyboard

12 Posts

May 21st, 2020 03:00

I'm facing the same issue from few days 

All keys work for few mins after system is on but after few minutes space ,n,b ,2and arrows stop working 

I tried all resetting bios ,uninstalling driver n more 

What should I do ?

@Anonymous 

• 

16.7K Posts

May 21st, 2020 04:00

Jay1930,

Did you run the diagnostics and follow the troubleshooting information in the link that I posted to you?   

12 Posts

May 21st, 2020 11:00

Yes I did, I have replied  no  that post 

247 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 09:00

Only thing I can suggest is go into Device manager by right clicking Windows logo bottom left and select keyboard and uninstall driver making sure to check uninstall driver on PC. Reboot and let Windows install the driver, if this does not solve the problems then you have a hardware issue and should seek out technical support.

12 Posts

May 23rd, 2020 03:00

thanks for replying , i did that 2-3 times didn't solve it,

but i observed that when keeping my laptop on a plain surface its working perfectly

• 

25.1K Posts

May 23rd, 2020 04:00

Is it only happening when it is not? ^VA

12 Posts

May 23rd, 2020 11:00

Yes whenever I keep the laptop on an uneven surface like on lap (b.n,space,arrow)  starts working intermediately 

What should I do ?

No Events found!