Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

February 13th, 2018 19:00

Inspiron 7000 i7 Battery issue

I just bought an Inspiron 7000 i7 and after two days of ownership, I've managed only 4 hours battery time twice. 

Each time I began at 100% battery. 

Usage was primarily word processing, web access, and about 20% of the time idling and sleeping. 

It was running wireless, of course, if that makes a difference.

I've run the 'Dell click 2 fix' program with no negatives.

I've checked out my start-up programs with only one having heavy start-up implications > OneDrive.

Looking over the 'community', I don't see battery issues on the 7000 being a big problem.

This thing HAS TO do better than 4 hours or it is going back.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

• 

17K Posts

February 14th, 2018 08:00

edalsie,

Click the links below for information on maximizing battery life.

Maximize Battery Life

How to improve your Dell laptop's battery performance

23 Posts

February 27th, 2018 09:00

Hello - 

I think I might be in the same boat. I took delivery of a Cert Refurbished Inspiron 7000 (7370) last week. As I normally do with new machines I promptly patched/updated everything (Microsoft updates, Dell updates, BIOS, etc), installed Chrome (and nothing else) and set out to use the machine in a stable, minimal usage state to determine a baseline for battery life. 

I run with Power Saver enabled and brightness at about 25%, always put the laptop to sleep after using it, etc ... and I am averaging about 4 hours 30 minutes of battery life. It also appears that the Full Charge Capacity of the battery (as shown by running powercfg /batteryreport) has degraded a decent amount from Design Capacity (~ 33,000 mWh versus ~37,000 mWh). I have only had the laptop for 6 days.

Does this all seem normal? When the website stated 'all day battery life' I was expecting something more like 7+ (at least 6?) ... but 4.5 seems pretty low, especially given the workload I am currently giving it. I LOVE everything else about the machine (i7/16GB/512GB) - just wondering if there is anything I can do regarding battery life ...

4 Posts

March 1st, 2018 14:00

Hi…

After speaking to a person in Dell tech support, I returned the computer.
I was told that that battery was rated for only 3-4 hours at best, and further told me that the battery life I was getting (4 or so hours) was really good for that.

After spending a fair amount of time while he tested the system including the battery, I was told all was just as it should be. The computer was really made to be plugged in most of the time. (????)

The words I used in reply shall not be mentioned here, although they were clean, yet most emphatic: No modern day computer should be produced with such a limited battery installed – especially with no option available for a larger battery.

He told me I could send it in to somewhere so they could further test it and, if necessary, replace the battery – free, of course, assuming the battery had a problem, which he said it didn’t.

As I said, I returned said computer the next day and purchased another brand… and I’ve been happy ever since.

Let me add that I've had other Dell laptops without such problems -- but they had replaceable batteries I could purchase and so bump up to a larger cell count.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 1st, 2018 15:00

I have an Inspiron 15 7567 with 4K display.  Right now, while doing nothing, the battery shows 6 hrs 16 minutes from 100%.  How much life shows will of course depend on what you are doing.

If I run a game using the 4k resolution, the battery life goes down to around 25 minutes...

There are some things you can check.  One is the battery life showing while you are doing something in particular.  You may see something like Chrome is using quite a bit more (not saying you are actually using Chrome).

Run some commands in an Admin command prompt.  One is to do a battery report and the other to see if any energy problems are involved.

powercfg /batteryreport

powercfg /energy

The energy report shows energy being used by running processes, so you may want to run at least one with nothing else open. 

Make note of where the reports are stored so you can move or copy them to the desktop for viewing.

If you look at the Battery in Settings, it will show power usage by App.

But I suppose if you no longer have the system, nothing to really check...

5 Posts

June 19th, 2018 18:00

My  I7 13-7378 Inspiron  new in August 2017 has been used 75% on AC power, 25% on battery alone. Yesterday (18 June 2018) it ran fine on battery for two hours. Plugged in to AC overnight, and this morning on login I had a "Defective battery" warning window. I right clicked on the batt icon in system tray which showed 87% charge, but "not charging."  Disconnected from AC power and screen went blank. Reconnected and it rebooted, indicating to me that power from batt was no longer reaching the notebook.

Contacted Dell support; tech ran some remote diagnostic tests and concluded batt was defective. He also updated BIOS to latest June 15 update while he was at it. Under tech direction I removed cover and battery to provide tech some identifying numbers. Under warranty, Dell is shipping me a new batt. 

In my case, no signs of a "weak" battery or quick discharge while using under batt power, and no history of heavy batt alone use. Batt worked normally yesterday, and unable to power the notebook for even a second today.  Any chance something other than batt is interrupting power supply?

Lewis

1 Message

November 22nd, 2018 09:00

Hi there. Curious what other brand you chose to go with. thanks

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2018 10:00

I, for one, returned my Dell and purchased a Lenovo... and haven't looked back!

January 12th, 2019 21:00

I got a similar laptop with the same issue, and I just diabled heavy startup apps, and set my battery to power saver. If you dont need a bright screen set it to 0% (What i do)

to set up power saver, click on the battery in the corner on the taskbar, and slide the slider to "best battery life." (left.)

I get 8-10hrs now when im just looking on the internet and not gaming.

Then again, battery drain is normal in these high end inspiron gaming laptops, dell said that themselves.

1 Message

April 13th, 2019 17:00

I have the same problem!However,mine only lasted two hours!I definitely regret buying this laptop!This is funny!I paid 1220$ and I have to be near an outlet all the time!When you go to this laptop's webpage, it says all-day battery life!

April 23rd, 2019 03:00

My battery only lasts for about 1 hour

1 Message

November 15th, 2019 09:00

Also my Dell Inspiron 7000 i7 13'', has the same issue from when i bought it the battery life is embarrassing.

I did the test in the bios environment and from 100% to 5% in 2h and 30 minutes considering that in the  bios environment the laptop doesn't run the Windows, if i run the laptop and use just windows so no more software the battery life is of 1 hour ..this is fully embarrassing for a laptot that i paid € 1110
Never , never more Dell 

1 Message

September 7th, 2020 01:00

Can i use my dell inspiron 14 inch 7000 i7 while charging?

Ps: for online class

No Events found!