Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

3 Posts

September 7th, 2020 11:00

Inspiron 7500 2-in-1, WiFi drops between 5GHz and 2.4GHz

I have a month old Dell Inspiron 2 in 1 Laptop with Optimum Wifi.  Constantly throughout the day my wifi will be connected to one network, then drop, and automatically connects to the other network.  This happens in a vice versa manner throughout the day.  Sometimes it seems like it won't happen for a few days, then all of a sudden it will start happening again and very frequently.  I have taken the laptop with me to a friend's house and didn't have any issue with connectivity when I was there so I don't think there is something wrong with it and may be some type of setting issue with the Dell when there is a 5G and 2.4 Signal available.  Even if I forget one of the networks, it will still drop and reset and onto the one network.  Has anyone experienced this issue?  I've seen some discussion on it across some forums across the internet but can't find any type of possible fix.  

• 

25.7K Posts

September 7th, 2020 11:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. You may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well. See the following Dell articles for troubleshooting.

Connecting and Troubleshoot Internet Connectivity Issues on Your Dell Computer

Intermittent, Slow or No WiFi Connection On Certain Dell Systems with an Intel AX200, AX201 or Killer 1650 Wireless Card

2 Posts

September 18th, 2020 21:00

Hello,

I am having the same issue, did you get it fix?

Thank you!

September 19th, 2020 09:00

@Brayan214 Sadly I have not. My internet still consistently drops and shifts from 5G to 2.4. None of the solutions Dell posted back have worked. I'm starting to think this is an ISP issue (I have Optimum) but I still have no clue as to whether it is that or some setting that I can manipulate on this machine. It's astounding to me that this seems to be a somewhat common occurrence amongst the Dell Community and yet no one has a real fix for it.

2 Intern

• 

410 Posts

September 19th, 2020 10:00

check you router settings regarding optimise bandwidth and separate the 2.4GHz from the 5GHz one.

then use one or other channel.

3 Apprentice

• 

559 Posts

September 19th, 2020 11:00

Sounds like it's your router, seeing that you have no issues with your friend's.

Also, how far away are you from your router? 5 GHz has a smaller coverage area compared to 2.4 GHz, so if you are far away from the router and/or the signal has to travel through multiple walls/objects, then you will be automatically switched to 2.4 GHz in order to maintain the connection. If there are other 5 GHz WiFi hotspots around you that are on same channel as yours, then co-channel interference can reduce coverage. Check your router's settings and change the 5 GHz channel to a vacant one to help improve reception.

This can vary by model and manufacturers, but you should be able to disable the automatic switching between the two bands. Disabling this will create two separate hotspots, 1 for 2.4 GHz and 1 for 5 GHz. You can try this as a troubleshooting option and see if the 5 GHz holds. Just make sure you know which hotspot is for which frequency. (You should be able to separately change the SSID's).

September 20th, 2020 06:00

I'm not sure how I would separate them? Under Device Settings and the Wireless Card Setting there is an option for a Preferred Bandwidth - that's about all I see or know how to do.

2 Posts

September 20th, 2020 19:00

I owned a Dell computer prior to this one  and I never had this issue, so I don't think its my internet because it still drops at my friends' house and someplace else. this is frustrating!!!!

January 20th, 2023 06:00

On the older Dells the setting for this is set to automatic. Go into your settings for wifi and set it to 2.4 gh

No Events found!