Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2020 00:00

Inspiron 7501 compatibility with WD19TB

Hi,

I have a Inspiron 7501 with Thunderbolt 3 port and nVidia 1650Ti. This laptop comes with a 130W power brick. Due to extended hours spent on online classes and work from home, I want to connect to a dock for port expansion and monitor connection. 

I came across Dell WD19TB dock. This one claims to deliver 130W on the TB3 port to "supported Dell laptops" and 90w to non-Dell laptops. The compatibility list for the WD19TB does not feature inspiron laptops. So, I am concerned that if I bought the dock, will it charge my laptop by delivering 130W or not. Will the power button on the dock turn off/on the laptop or not.

There is no clarity from Dell or other sources on this. Dell should have included some basic information on this considering this is a laptop with TB3 / nVidia 1650ti and will likely be used for performance computing as well. 

Could someone please help clarify if the Inspiron 7501 will be compatible with the WD19TB or not. 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

December 29th, 2020 07:00

@Prvn  and @Andreas Be  Even setting aside the fact that the TB16 had far more than its fair share of problems over its lifecycle (it’s been replaced by the WD19TB), I have never seen any Inspiron system charge at 130W over USB-C. As far as I can tell, Dell still only seems to implement that on the XPS and Precision models that support it. On the Inspiron side, the USB-C port either only supports a lower charging rate or doesn’t support USB-C charging at all. Additionally, Dell seems not to have given Inspiron systems the necessary firmware support for dock Power buttons, so if you hoped to be able to start the system from the dock while the lid is closed, that is unlikely to work unless something has changed there recently.

You could always buy the dock from a vendor that offers easy returns and see what happens, but I wouldn’t be optimistic. But if you do that, typically the Battery Information of the BIOS will identify the wattage of the attached power source, so that should allow you to see whether it negotiated 130W.

• 

25.7K Posts

December 18th, 2020 18:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

• 

25.7K Posts

December 19th, 2020 01:00

Thank you. We have received the details shared and keeping your privacy in mind, we would request you to delete/edit the post with the service tag as it is on a public forum.

12 Posts

December 19th, 2020 01:00

Dell Inspiron 7510 

12 Posts

December 19th, 2020 08:00

HI, How do I delete / edit the post ?

Sorry, I was not aware.

I did not find a menu option to delete it .

Could you please delete it on my behalf or please help with instructions. 

1 Message

December 29th, 2020 00:00

Hi,

did you find out anything concerning compatibility?

I'm very interested in that as well,

Thank you very much

No Events found!