Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

11 Posts

May 26th, 2019 06:00

Inspiron 7580 will not sleep

I have an Inspiron 7580 running Windows 10.  I have set the display and sleep settings to the default. The screen turns off as scheduled but the computer does not enter the sleep mode unless I do it manually.  When I go into the power settings, settings that I have seen on other computers are simply not there.  There is no hibernate option.  When I go into the BIOS, normally I would see S1 and S3 sleep setting options but they are missing as well.  Any help would be appreciated

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 26th, 2019 07:00

When you go into the Admin command prompt, use the command below then copy and paste the results.

powercfg /a

11 Posts

May 26th, 2019 07:00

The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S3)

Hibernate
Hibernation has not been enabled.

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available.
Hibernation is not available.

Fast Startup
Hibernation is not available.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Connectivity in standby is not supported.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 26th, 2019 08:00

You seem to have a system which does Modern Standby or Instant Go, or whatever name they give it.

The fact you are showing Fast Startup and Hibernation is not available means either you have turned off one or the other.  If you have not turned off or disabled anything, it seems the newer processor/Wi-Fi adapter combination has changed some settings and you no longer have control.

Someone with an XPS 9380 seemed to be seeing about the same thing.  Do you know what model of Wi-Fi card you have.

Basically, when your screen goes dark the system goes into low power mode.  It may not even be able to hibernate after some period of time so it just stays in that mode.  The way to get a system out of low power mode it to tap the space bar or maybe, open the lid.  They want your computer to behave like a smart phone.

If you have any Bluetooth devices, such as a mouse or PEN, be careful when you travel since they may be able to bring the system out of low power mode.

11 Posts

May 26th, 2019 08:00

My wifi adapter is Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9260 .  No bluetooth devices attached

No Events found!