Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 18th, 2019 11:00

Inspiron G3 15-3579, upgrade suggestions

Hello everyone!

I want to ask about upgrading suggestions.
I need to upgrade Ram, PCI-e SSD, And HDD to SSD.

For RAM: I've read the manual, but i'm a little bit confused. It supports 2x16GB module @ 2666MHz. But it's really hard to find 2666MHz modules in my country even if online stores. There isn't any. Is there a noticable difference in performance  between CL17 2400MHz and CL19 2666Mhz modules? The only brand i can find here is Crucial. And do 2400MHz CL17 (2x16GB) memory modules work?

When it comes to SSD; is 1TB PCIe supported? Manual says not! 512GB max. But at Crucial Site it says 1TB is supported by Dell 3579. If so May I assume that Samsung 970 evo 1TB may work? Or do you have any suggestions compatible or tested 1TB PCI-e drives?

And for the SATA HDD; there is not much explanation about SSD SATA Drives.

The maual says:
One 2.5-inch Hard Disk Drive (HDD) : SATA, up to 6 Gbps Up to 2 TB
One 2.5-inch Solid-State Hybrid Drive (SSHD): SATA, up to 6 Gbps Up to 1 TB

There is no explanation about SSD SATA. Is it possible to work 1 TB or more SSD on sata slot? Like Samsung 860 QVO?

Samsung is for exapmple, and this is not because i'm a fan of Samsung Brand, but it can be easily found and at top of the list of affordable well-known brands here when it comes to prices.

Thank you.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2019 13:00

The Inspiron G3 15-3579 memory specifications are shown in the online Dell G3 15-3579 Setup and Specifications PDF, page 11.

The Dell OEM 16GB memory sticks are listed below by Dell part number. Use the part numbers to search on the web =

CRXJ6 16GB,2666MHz,2RX8,8G,DDR4,S Memory,Unbuffered,260 Pin,Dual Rank,1.2v,Non-ECC

821PJ 16GB,2400MHz,2RX8,8G,DDR4,S Memory,Unbuffered,260 Pin,Dual Rank,1.2v,Non-ECC

6 Posts

July 3rd, 2020 12:00

I've Upgraded as following:

1. Ram: Crucial 2x16 CT2K16G4SFD8266 - This is important I stick with the same speed as the installed one. (I really hardly find this one. Europe stocks were out so I've ordered from the USA.)

2. Crucial P1 CT1000P1SSD8 1TB: Works very well. I don't know if the faster MVMe works or not. But this one works at its desired speed.

3. Crucial MX500 CT2000MX500SSD1 2TB: Works fine as well.

And again: I've intentionally selected this upgrade parts because Crucial Website has really efficient hardware compatibility list here for G3 15-3579. I couldn't find any other manufacturer has this type of compatibility list.

(As a note: My original hardware was faulty I think. I was having some problems like unexpected unresponsiveness, muxing problems when rendering/exporting video, etc... I was thinking that they were related to the applications I was using. After upgrading these, the laptop works really fine. And, as it's working properly I didn't send it to service.)

6 Posts

August 29th, 2019 04:00

It has been 2 months and no answer for this post. (I don't blame you guys, i know it's a community forum. I'm just interested in the situation...)

I've been really looking for a working solution especially for ram Upgrade. I'm using Video Creating softwares which absolutely needs 32 GB ram. And There is no Upgrade suggestions for ram in any Dell official corporate channels.

There are several rumours about this issue. Everyone takes their chances, and try-test their Upgrade solutions. I'm sorry  but it's a shame for a laptop manufacturer to cannot give a compatibility list for ram support list.

I used to hate Apple for this type of incompability issues, but even they used to provide a support ram list (not anymore because all parts are soldered.). The only response from dell Company is buy from official dell tested ram modules from Dell official resellers. But there is no 32GB kit on sale in official markets, especially in my Country.

Crucial also says that some modules tested on G3 and works. But there are rumours that Crucial's supported ram module not working actually. This is really become a ghost story...

No answers, no suggestions, no official support list. I really feel left alone as a Dell Customer.

And i think it's really funny that customers are allowed to Upgrade their systems by themselves, if they are lucky to find compatible parts...

And i think that is not a hardware limitation. I know this chipset and motherboard is able to work with much variety of ram and SSD's on other computer vendor brands.

Sorry guys this is my first dell laptop. And i experience this left alone feeling first time. I think i won't recommend Dell for any of my friends. And it's really weird that one of the most powerful professional workstation vendor (which is dell) cannot give support for a low level home user laptop customers...

6 Posts

November 3rd, 2019 09:00

I really appreciate your answer.

I think i will stick to Crucial 2x16 CT2K16G4SFD8266. I've already ordered that. On their site, it says: tested on 3579 and works. But CAS latency is a little bit high CL19. I've found Kingston CL15 module with same price but i didn't wanted to buy them, because i was unsure wheter it works or not.

When it comes to SSD and PCI-e disks.

I Think i will order theese:

• Crucial P1 CT1000P1SSD8 1TB (That has the same speed as the one comes with g3 15-3579)
  • Crucial MX500 CT2000MX500SSD1 2TB

Like the ram modules; on crucial site theys say they work with 3579.

I will post the ram result, and if i buy the disks (I'm not sure for MX500), post their resuts either.

Have a nice day...

1 Message

July 2nd, 2020 16:00

But the question about the hard drives wasn't answered.  I have the same question.  Mine came with a SATA 1TB Drive.  Not sure if it's the standard HDD or the hybrid SSHDD, but regardless, it's slow.  So, I'm wanting to add an additional drive and am looking at a PCIe SSD, but the manual says that it only supports 512GB.  Is that accurate or is a larger drive, like a 1TB PCIe SSD supported?  Can you have both the SATA and the PCIe SSD be installed and if so, what is the maximum size of the PCIe drive?  512GB or larger?

Thank you!

January 25th, 2021 22:00

On top of huge amount of problems I had with the laptop in he past, now I wanna upgrade and see that it's limited to just 1TB!(but officially to just 512 GB) I purchased a 2TB PCI E SSD 2 weeks ago, it didn't work, after investigating I found out about this stupid limit. Never buying dell again

February 6th, 2021 13:00

just received and tried this Crucial M.2 ssd you mentioned on my G3 3579, and no luck, the laptop doesn't see it as a bootable device no matter what I do. An suffestions? The bios sees it as a storage device and I can view it's files. The Windows pre-installation goes flawlessly, but after reboot when I try to boot from that ssd - no bootable device. Heck I even tried another laptop and same result. Installed all sorts of Windows on desktops and laptops for many years now(starting from Windows XP) and never had this problem. This is the second SSD I'm trying. Any idea what I did wrong?

No Events found!