Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

4 Posts

April 13th, 2019 08:00

Inspiron G3 17-3779, keyboard lag, AC plugged in

Hi !

I come to you with a rather annoying issue I have been having since yesterday. First, I must mention it's not the only battery related issue I had with this comp.

I bought this DELL PC laptop Gamer Inspiron G3 17-3779 - 17,3 FHD - Core i5-8300H - RAM 8Go - Stockage 1To HDD + 128Go SSD - GTX 1060 6Go - W10 about 3 months ago.

At first I had this (apparently common) issue where my laptop would freeze and plugging/unplugging or the opposite wold fix that. That still soooomewhat happens once in a while even though rare. But now, whenever the charger is plugged in, the keyboard lags and miss keystrokes (anywhere, in cmd, notepad, firefox etc ..., and not only writing, it applies to the whole keyboard)

Anyone having this issue and/or infos about it?

Thanks a bunch in advance !

4 Posts

April 13th, 2019 15:00

Hi again,

I have no clue why my last topic wasn't put on but i'm retrying again, sorry if i'm repeating again if you saw it but I don't. So, basically, since yesterday, when I have my computer charging, the keyboard is lagging. If I try to type fast it types about 1 letter out of 4. Same in any software or cmd. My laptop is a G3 17 3779 with windows 10, bought about 3 months ago. I already had issues with the AC, the computer sometimes froze and it was "fixable" by either plugging or unplugging depending on what was the case before. It now rarely happens (still does once in a while). But right now the main issue is this keyboard lag (not only typing but arrows and all, same issue).

Thanks in advance for the help !

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 15th, 2019 08:00

* AC power adapter is plugged into the Inspiron G3 17-3779
* Turn the Inspiron G3 17-3779 off
* Turn the Inspiron G3 17-3779 on
* Enter Safe Mode
* Open Notepad
* Start typing fast. What happens?

4 Posts

April 15th, 2019 09:00

Hi, and thanks in advance for the help !

So, I rebooted in safe mode and tried to type again, to no avail. If I retype this exact same sentence with the AC plugged in :

S, roed i andtre ot i, noa.

And I can write just fine now after unplugging. I also noticed something else : if I change the luminosity of the screen (either going up or down) OR activate/deactivate the keyboard lighting system while being plugged in DURING a video, it creates a slight lag in the audio and a bzzzt sound, which does NOT occur if I do exactly the same while not plugged in.

I, alas, do not have a mechanical keyboard on hand to test and compare if it works with an external keyboard.

1 Message

July 19th, 2019 22:00

Same issue but with a G3 15-3579.

3 Posts

August 3rd, 2019 08:00

Confirmed still an issue on my G3 3579, latest BIOS update 1.10. Not sure if it's a legitimate BIOS issue or a keyboard defect, but judging from some of these posts regarding this problem, it most likely is a BIOS issue.

3 Posts

September 7th, 2019 11:00

Same issue with G3 on Ubuntu 18.04, and it's really hard to type when your characters don't come up (especially caps) or come as double, triple or more.

I think this might be triggered by heat and/or workload. Though it's really hard to figure out what's causing this.

Please provide a fix

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2021 17:00

I have the exact same issue on the exact same laptop.

I have been dealing with customer support for weeks now. NOBODY can help me.

Typing is fine when I am unplugged, running only on battery. Once I am plugged in, my typing is lagging.

I am still under warranty.....and nobody can help me.

3 Posts

July 12th, 2021 23:00

Hi ShaeLind,

All the same for me. The support closed all my tickets, doubted everything I said despite being a professional in IT and shamefully dismissed my claim up to the moment for my guarantee to become void.

This looks like Dell is scamming us for badly designed laptop. As not only this is a common problem, but it's also simply due to heat. Once the motherboard heats a bit too much (and that happens stupidly fast with the GTX 1060 max-q) then some parts of the keyboard are not responsive. You can try to suspend the laptop until the temperature cools down, but that's gonna disgust you from typing anything.

The only valid option is to use an external keyboard, which has a lot of inconvenient like taking place, blocking your speakers and pulling away your screen on your desk, but there are really no other option.

Just avoid Dell and tell your friends to do the same. Maybe they'll end up either honest or bankrupt.
But we cannot accept such obviously untested technical flaw, and the terrible support that comes with, as those are expensive piece of technology that affect our professional activities.

Best regards,
A fed up engineer

2 Posts

July 13th, 2021 14:00

Hi. Still weeks later, tech support offered no solution. I ordered a new adapter and that fixed nothing. I ordered a new battery.......and it is on backorder. I wont get it until end of August.  I did finally order a bluetooth keyboard, but of course like you said, that is not convenient. I got a laptop and not a PC for a reason and AGAIN, my laptop has a year and a half of warranty left!!!!!!

How the h3ll can Dell tech support not know how to fix this issue???? Do they hire monkeys?!?!?!? 

I am starting to think it is not only hardware issues (like you said, overheating), but update issues. This is suppose to be a gamming computer and able to handle high usage. So it should not be overheating with minimal tasks causing basic TYPING issues!!!

Maybe Apples is where it is at. I dont know. I thought Dell was a good product.

ETA: 

Correct the highlighted errors and try again. You used a bad word, h3ll, in the body of your post. Please clean up the body before posting.

No Events found!