Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 26th, 2020 06:00

Inspiron G5 15 5500, external monitor, lid closed, low fps

Hello, 

I purchased new Inspiron G5 15 5500. Everything is working great. But when I connect an external monitor and choose option "second screen only", there is a significant drop of fps (i guess it's just a few frames p.s.) on the external monitor. Even when I'm watching like videos on youtube. If I choose "Extend" option, or "duplicate", it's going well. But I use my laptop closed on the desk often, so it's annoying. I googled one thing that helped me: disabling Intel graphic card at Device Manager. The GPU is  RTX 2070 MaxQ. Do you have any idea how to solve this?

Thank You

2 Posts

November 26th, 2020 11:00

Today, I tried SupportAssist to update the drivers and it seems it helped. There was a BIOS update and an Nvidia update.

We were checking this more in detail and we can confirm the system is working as expected. It is normal for the FPS to drop when closing the lid, as both video cards work together, and the lid is required to be open, so the system can freely switch from the Intel to the Nvidia video card as the PC needs to. At this time, the workaround you are already trying (to disable the Intel video card) would be the only way for the Nvidia video card to take full control and avoid the FPS drops.
DELL-Cares

No Events found!