Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

6 Posts

August 12th, 2021 11:00

Intel(R) HD Graphics "Not Working properly"

Inspiron 20, CPU N2830, 2.16 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Windows 10 (21H1) updated 8/4/2021.

This PC has never worked well; it is set up to do only one thing: run Blue Iris 3 with 6-8 cameras. It's very slow and BI shows the CPU almost always running at 100%. I happened to notice recently that when I checked the properties for the Intel(R) HD Graphics card, it says "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers for this device (Code 31). The card was actually listed twice in the Display Adapters, and I decided to delete one of them. After restart, I got one Intel(R) HD Graphics card and one Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. The Intel still is listed as not working properly, while the Microsoft adapter is shown as working normally. When I tried to update the Intel card driver, it wouldn't update ("Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software....").

I'm wondering if anyone might have an easy solution for this. If I just delete the other Intel(R) HD Graphics card, am I going to make things worse? 

I ran Dell diagnostics but it didn't pick up on the problem.

If I end up doing a worst-case Window reinstall, is there a chance that the Intel graphics will come back online properly?
Any help greatly appreciated!

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

August 12th, 2021 11:00

It's difficult to say without knowing what OS you're running, but this is basically a latter-day netbook --- it's not designed to do what you're trying to do with it.

The CPU was originally designed for "one laptop per child" and schoolwork -- it's not a fully capable Windows notebook CPU.

Bottom line:  you may be able to restore the video function with a reinstall (forget Windows 10 on these though), but if you really need a camera management notebook, you need something more capable than a netbook.

6 Posts

August 12th, 2021 12:00

Isn't the OS Windows 10?

I don't think you can call it a netbook.  It's a 20" pc.

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

August 12th, 2021 13:00

If you're really running Windows 10 on that CPU (it's a Bay Trail CPU, which started its existence as the Intel Atom, aka the basis of netbooks), that alone will be a struggle in 4G RAM.

You haven't specified the system model number, but that CPU dates from early 2014, so it's using pretty old CPU tech -- if it's anywhere near current it's essentially the 202x version of a Netbook, with similar capabilities.

Windows 10 runs poorly with an i3 CPU, 4G and a spinning hard drive -- I can't even begin to imagine trying to run it with a netbook-class processor.

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

August 13th, 2021 18:00

These were designed to sell for about $300 and built to that price.

You can try uninstalling all the video drivers, rebooting and then reinstalling them  -- or just do a complete reinstall of Windows.

6 Posts

August 13th, 2021 18:00

Dell Inspiron 20 Model 3043.  Sigh, I guess I got scammed by Dell.  I bought it new in 2015.

But I'd still like to know what I can do about the graphics card issue.

6 Posts

August 14th, 2021 06:00

I actually bought the thing because of its configuration: large screen and hardware in/behind the screen, and then mounted it on the wall.  I figured that, running only one program besides Windows, since it came with Win 10, it would be able to handle that.  I like the size and setup of it.  Is there a piece of hardware (different graphics card, maybe? More RAM?) That I could change to make it work better?

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

August 14th, 2021 10:00

No, there's no way to upgrade the GPU.  It's part of the CPU and soldered onto the system board;  there's no provision for adding a GPU to the system.

If it's running a conventional hard drive, the single best upgrade (assuming you can get the GPU driver issue solved first) would be to replace that with a solid state drive.  

There is only one memory socket, and while you can replace the 4G with an 8G module, that's unlikely to do much for system performance.

6 Posts

August 14th, 2021 13:00

Can't just plug in a better cpu, I guess.  Don't see any compatible on the internet.  Too bad; it fit well, on the wall.  

Thank you for the information!

6 Posts

August 16th, 2021 17:00

Here are two 20" "all-in-one" options available locally on Craigslist.  Might one of them better meet my need?  I don't need mouse or keyboard.

Make / manufacturer: Dell

model name / number: Inspiron 2020

Dell Inspiron One 2020 20” - Intel Pentium G645T @ 2.5GHz/4GB RAM/1TB HDD. Non-Touch (1600x900).

(Or)

All-in-One Dell Inspiron One 2020 with Windows 10 Home. 20" screen. Works great! Freshly re-installed operating system.

Quick Specs:
1 TB of memory
4 GB of RAM
Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor G2020T / 2.5 GHz
20" display (non-touchscreen)
Windows 10 Home

No mouse or keyboard is included.

From the manufacturer:

GENERAL
Dell Inspiron One 2020 All-in-one PC
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Built-in Devices: camera, microphone, stereo speakers