Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

9 Posts

June 15th, 2020 08:00

Keyboard latency/connectivity issues caused by BIOS update?

I installed a BIOS update yesterday via Dell SupportAssist on my Dell G3 15 3579 and ever since installing it my keyboard hasn't been working properly (I'm having to type this with the on-screen keyboard because of it). Essentially what is happening is I'll try to press a key and either A) Nothing will happen B) Multiple characters will be typed. Rarely do I get a proper response from the keyboard. (For example,    dddd - I hit the a, b, c, D, E, f, and g keys twice each, but somehow got 4 ds but none of the other characters posted.) This is not a hardware issue. I have already tried uninstalling the device + drivers and rebooting, as well as updating the drivers, running the DISM commands in command prompt, troubleshooting the keyboard, and doing basically everything else listed on these two sites.

https://www.minitool.com/news/windows-10-keyboard-lag.html

https://thegeekpage.com/fix-slow-keyboard-lagging-in-windows-10/

http://prntscr.com/t06jzq with this being the only exception.

http://prntscr.com/t06lvo idk if this is relevant or not, but I only use the built-in keyboard, I've never even plugged in another keyboard, but there are five keyboards listed, even after uninstalling them all and rebooting.

Please get back to me ASAP. I need to fix this.

June 25th, 2020 13:00

Can anybody help with the issue? I would urgently need my laptop working

9 Posts

June 26th, 2020 09:00

So I gave up trying to fix it myself and took it into a very experienced IT guy. Basically, this cannot be fixed. The BIOS update contains an Intel Security update (or something like that), so even once you get around the battery issue, it cannot be downgraded or reverted. You also cannot perform a factory reset. So we're stuck waiting for Dell to release a hotfix for this garbage BIOS update.

@filip.jakopovic 

9 Posts

June 27th, 2020 07:00

So I finally found a work around for this. While the built in keyboard doesn't interface correctly, external USB keyboards do. This obviously doesn't fix the battery issue, but it at least makes the pc useable.

@filip.jakopovic 

1 Message

July 9th, 2020 20:00

I share my experience with you. My laptop came with version 1.4.0 in bios and when I updated to version 1.12.0 it failed to load the uefi room. That gave me the same keyboard and battery problems. So what I did was download the version (1.12.0) again and copy it to drive D, then I ran the update again and everything ran fine and fixed keyboard and battery errors. Hopefully this can help you.

7 Posts

July 15th, 2020 09:00

Anyone else having the same problem as me with not charging and keyboard not working - here is the solution.

Copy the bios file onto a USB formatted as Fat32.  reboot the Laptop pressing the F12 key to get into the One Time Boot Menu. select Flash Bios Upgrade. select the file.  Mine was saying Power inadequate as I only had 6% battery remaining.  there is an Option box. click on it and type in /forceit. Press enter and it gives you the option to flash the file to bios.  Once that completed the laptop was working properly again with keyboard and charging.

Thanks dell for making me waste two days on this when you could have told us this way of re-flashing the bios.

good luck folks

1 Message

July 23rd, 2020 20:00

see this

1 Message

August 7th, 2020 11:00

@Godid It says service tag removed?

1 Message

August 12th, 2020 13:00

Dell has put out a fix for this issue yet?  I have not found the solution yet.  I do not want to make changes to my computer manually to fix the issue.  My laptop battery shows 0% charged and not charging. It is useless and keyboard does not work as it should.

August 18th, 2020 02:00

Can you me specify the files to be there in USB ??

August 23rd, 2020 16:00

With new bios update version 1.13.0 its fixed...thank god

22 Posts

September 29th, 2020 01:00

Had the same problem installing Bios 1.13.0 for a G3 causing touchpad to stop working and also keyboard lag.

Re-flashed same Bios from FAT32 USB from boot menu bios upgrade and it worked!

Kudos @Carlos247 

1 Message

December 11th, 2020 08:00

Thank you so much for this info. I would not have ben able to finish my school work without it. DELL needs to get their **bleep** together and fix these issue's be for they send out a new bios update. I like my G3 but with all the problems I have had with it I will most likely not be getting a DELL laptop in the future. To this day I can not turn my laptop on and go I have to let it sit for 15 min be for I use it because on startup the Disk usages is maxed out for 15 to 20 min. I have yet to find a solution for this. This state is not adequate for running MATLAB and other engineering programs Orcad, PSpice, HSpice. I'm not happy but thank you again for the solution.

1 Message

December 13th, 2020 07:00

this worked for me man! thankyou for curing my headache caused by dell

3 Posts

May 25th, 2021 12:00

I have exactly the same problem. After I installed all updates with the support assistant, my keyboard sporadically stopped working (exactly as you described)
Especially the buttons (a s d) are not. Sometimes, however, it works again for a few minutes, so the buttons (hardware technically) still work. Very strange.
After reinstalling the keyboard drivers several times, I even formatted my PC yesterday. Without success, the problem persists.
I hoped the tip with the fat32 stick works, but it didn't...

It is realy strange, if I type for example "a", sometimes it works, but most of the time i have to press the button 3-5 times. Than the "a" ocures... but sometimes no letter ocours...

According to support, my guarantee has expired and I should look for help in the community.

1 Message

February 1st, 2022 20:00

Thanks! This solution worked

No Events found!