Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2019 06:00

Laptop GPU just isn't up to my expectations, can I upgrade?

Model: Inspiron 17 5000 series (5767) CPU: Intel i7-7500U (7th Gen) GPU: AMD Radeon r7 445 RAM: 8 GB OS: Windows 10 Home Edition I purchased this laptop two years ago and I have been having problems with it ever since. For a short while, I had problems with it loading web pages slowly, so I contacted support and somehow things went awry and I had to completely factory reset my laptop. After a couple of other mishaps and calls with support, I am finally at a place where my laptop runs smoothly (albeit with an abysmal battery charge life, but I digress) and I had been hoping to be able to use it to play some of my favorite games on steam and such. I had thought I had sufficient hardware to run these basic, low-demand games, but oh boy was I wrong. I have to constantly be on the lowest graphics settings available and it is still very jittery and unresponsive at times. I've been doing some research, and since I have plenty of RAM, and an adequate CPU, I think it might be that my GPU is the bottleneck. I know that there is an integrated Intel HD Graphics 620 card, though I have been trying to force the system to use the AMD processor, as I would think it would have more power. Though it really just doesn't cut it for what I want to do. I had been hoping to be able to use this as both a school and home laptop that could run some games, but it seems that it doesn't quite want to behave. So my main question is, is it possible with this model to upgrade or replace the GPU, or do I need a new laptop?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

Welcome to the Dell Community @Warrior41449 

Sorry but the GPU can not be upgraded.

That system came with 2 Discrete Video controllers and 2 Integrated Video controllers.

Discrete Video controllers:

• AMD Radeon R7 M440
  • AMD Radeon R7 M445

Integrated Video controllers:

• Intel HD Graphics 610 for computers with Intel Pentium/Celeron processor
  • Intel HD Graphics 620 for computers with Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processors

Inspiron 17 5000 Setup and Specifications

For better performance you could try upgrading to an SSD and 16GB memory???

Best regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

Your very welcome @Warrior41449 

Wish there was more we could do.

Regards,

U2

Thank you for letting me know

laptops generally have cpu and gpu soldiered to motherboard. You cant just replace it with new one.

Your laptop doesn't have a thunderbolt port, so you can't use an external GPU.

You are stuck with the same graphics card unless you buy a new one.

You have a i7 7500U. U means ultra-low power. So the processor might also be a bottleneck.

Keep the task manager and play a game for 10-15 min. If you see a constant 100% in cpu, then your cpu is a bottleneck. Same applies for GPU.

Try installing Intel XTU and MSI afterburner and try undervolting cpu and increase clock speed of gpu and monitor temperatures. There are many tutorials available on the internet for this.

If there is any thermal issues additional to above softwares, make sure there is atleast half inch gap from the surface to your laptop to allow airflow.

This would be your last hope to increase the performance of your laptop.

1 Message

January 23rd, 2022 21:00

I maybe well late on this train yet I have a Dell Inspiron 5765. Mine use to run slow yet I upgraded to 16gb of ram n it runs good yet when i up graded to ssd it runs very fast. I’ll put one more 16gb of chip in soon. This a very good laptop if taking care of yet u most upgrade in order to get the best Performance

No Events found!