Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

8 Posts

July 12th, 2022 17:00

Motherboard Replacement?

Hi there. I have spent three weeks intensively investigating and troubleshooting an issue I have been having with my laptop. When it runs Photoshop or Lightroom they stop responding and if I don't end the task in task manager, they crash the computer and I get a BSOD. I have had this issue escalated to higher levels at Adobe and Microsoft who have both had on screen access to my machine. We've ruled out OS, Software and Drivers. It appears that the CPU is overheating in two cores. Is it possible to replace the motherboard of this laptop? Is it possible to buy the part and have an IT technician install it for me? I have an Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming Laptop with extra RAM, and two hard drives.

8 Posts

Screenshot (48).pngScreenshot (49).png

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

While it is certainly possible, whether it makes economic sense is something only you can decide.

A Kaby Lake system is about six years old at this point, or twice as old as the design life of the system.  You'll find boards run several hundred dollars, even used -- and labor will add at least $100 more to that.  If the system functions well otherwise, buying a new desktop (or a more capable notebook -- i.e., a Precision mobile workstation next time instead of a mid-range gaming notebook) may be a better long-term investment.

And if the only problem is occasional overheating, if the system has never had any internal maintenance (thorough cleaning and replacement of the thermal pads that sit between the heatsink(s) and CPU/GPU), that's long overdue and may solve the issue -- if not for very low cost (do it yourself) then for an hour's labor with a local computer shop.

8 Posts

Screenshot (47).png

8 Posts

July 12th, 2022 18:00

Thank you. I don't think those thermal pads have been done. I will have to ask. I ran diagnostics and it says my CPU is fine. I am trying to find out if there is an issue with BIOS. You will see that there is a failure on the NVIDIA but that is because it isn't enabled atm. We disabled it in a test we were running.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

July 12th, 2022 21:00

@CarmenRay  Temps are definitely high for a 7th gen CPU 

I think you start with a applying a fresh coat of Thermal paste as the Motherboard is probably 4 years old.  Also use dell power manager for a cooler profile. 

My suggestion, always go for a desktop if you are in creative field. Those macs seem impressive but apples slows them down after a while to make them look good. 

Desktops are much more versatile in terms of upgradibility

8 Posts

July 13th, 2022 00:00

Thanks. Unfortunately I am not in a position to replace the laptop. I have to try to keep it going if at all possible. I don't know if this is a BIOS issues... according to the one screenshot, there is nothing wrong with the CPU itself. Did you see that?

No Events found!