Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 14th, 2018 16:00

New Inspiron 14 7472 new 2.5 ssd addition not recognized

Hi all,

I've recently purchased an Inspiron 14, 7472, which came in 256 GB M.2 SATA hard drive. I just wanted to add a new SSD (Crucial BX100 model 250 GB) into the empty SATA HDD slot inside. This SSD has been used in other Inspiron laptop without any issue and clean formatted for this purpose and is detected in an USB enclosure. However, the Windows 10 can't recognize this new SSD in "This PC" or "Disk Management". I've tried followings so far with an interesting observation.

1. Totally powered off. Then reboot directly to BIOS and the system found the new ssd as "Primary hard drive" (and the OS hdd as "M.2 SATA") - see the picture

2. Exit the BIOS to boot to Windows 10. Still windows can't see the new ssd from "This PC" or "Disk Management".

3. Restart the computer to BIOS and now the system can't find the new ssd, while only M.2 SATA of OS is shown.

4. Totally powered off (instead of "restart). Reboot directly to BIOS and the same of #1 above was observed.

That is, once the system went to the Windows 10, the new ssd was hidden from OS or BIOS thereafter.

This Inspiron came in as "RAID on", so I switched to AHCI of BIOS inside of Windows 10 (switching to AHCI without reinstalling OS), but there was no luck - the same as #1 - #4 above.

How can I make this ssd discovered and useful in this computer?

Thanks for your helps in advance.

Device Information of BIOS shows new ssd as Device Information of BIOS shows new ssd as "Primary HDD" only when the computer is first booted into BIOS from powered-off status.

8 Posts

January 17th, 2019 11:00

Solved!

Previous SSD was Crucial BX100 2.5 SSD (which is now obsolete). I purchased newer one, Crucial MX500 2.5 SSD, and it is recognized by the BIOS and Windows 10. Formatted and now in the system. I just confirmed the compatibility of the SSD with the system (Inspiron 14, 7472) before purchase and it just works. I still don't understand why BX100 was not recognized. Instead, this old one is now in an USB enclosure and it works just fine as a portable storage.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

October 14th, 2018 20:00

Did you turn off Secure Boot in the BIOS? Also is the SSD recognized in the System Information portion of the BIOS? The following site might help with a lot of information pertaining to your dilemma.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/initialize-a-hard-drive-ssd.html

4 Posts

December 3rd, 2018 18:00

Hello, I'm having the same issue, did you solve it?

Thanks!

4 Posts

December 3rd, 2018 18:00

I'm having the same issue and disabling secure boot from BIOS didn't help… any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

8 Posts

December 9th, 2018 20:00

Turning off secure boot did not help. The SSD was recognized in the System information of the BIOS first time, but once it failed in showing from Windows, the following re-boot BIOS can't recognize the SSD. 

8 Posts

December 9th, 2018 20:00

The issue is not solved yet....

8 Posts

January 17th, 2019 11:00

Please see an update. Just newer version of SSD worked!

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 17:00

Hi, which is the capacity of your new SSD? I believe there's something related to the capacity.

8 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 23:00

The old one was 250 GB (not recognized) and the new one was 500 GB (recognized). Why do you think the capacity matters?

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 19:00

Because the Inspiron 7000 series setup and specifications show the following:

Capacity for a hard drive: 1 TB

Capacity for an SSD: SATA connected, up to 256 GB

and PCIe/NVMe connected: up to 512 GB

I don't know how to paste here an image of the storage specifications...

8 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 20:00

Hi danrodri,

I believe there is some confusion in storage form factor. Partially it is Dell's responsibility of not being very clear about it. Dell's spec simply says two storage slots: hard drive (HDD) and SSD, as you read correctly. However, SSD (solid state drive) is also another type of HDD except that SSD is flush-type drive, not spinning drive disk.

In Inspiron 14 7000 series, there are two slots for storage. One is for M.2 form factor, which can be available for either SATA or PCIe/NVMe connection. If it is SATA, you can use up to 256 GB SSD, and if it is PCIe type, you can use up to 512 GB (and this is what Dell spec is explaining). Mine came in 256 GB of SSD pre-installed in M.2 slot.

The other storage slot is for 2.5" form factor, which can hold up to 1 TB and it is only for SATA connection. I was trying to install 250 GB SSD (2.5" size, as the title says 2.5 ssd) to this slot as an extra storage, which for unknown reason yet, was not recognized. However, when I bought a new 500 GB SSD (2.5" size) and installed to this slot, it worked.

January 23rd, 2019 20:00

Dell supports only limited series of storage devices and the main issues with respect to your problem was the windows 10 + dell new machine works on firmware dedicated to hdd sdd n m.2 if the sdd is old with outdated firmware it will wont support the machine.

on dell official website of support and drivers you will get to see the dedicated section for storage devices with the latest firmware for storage media

8 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 22:00

Hi kunalkolamka,

I know Dell has such dedicated site to list available and compatible parts & upgrade choices. However, it does not always show the parts I really need.

For example, currently the storage option (https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/pfydresults/254429/%7Bst%7D?categoryId=5683) shows only an external USB drive or an M.2 PCIe. Neither of them I want/need. Given that, customers have to explorer other choices.

I was surprised to find out that Dell does not support the SSD from Crucial (BX100 SSD) which I purchased 3 years ago.

No Events found!