Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

15 Posts

October 14th, 2021 13:00

Inspiron 16 7610 Touchpad, running list

Hi all,

As many of us are facing issues with the Inspiron 7610 touchpad, I have noticed that Dell has not taken a position on this and refuses to do anything besides forcing you to send in the laptop (and change out parts to no avail). Comment if you are also having the same issue or find other links sharing the same issue. Thanks!

7 Posts

April 4th, 2022 13:00

Great video, I did mine a few days ago and it now working as it should.

Thank you to all involved in figuring out the fix.

Thanks for the breakdown JackNis. I performed the procedure on my laptop this morning and am glad to report I have had zero issues with the touchpad since. I recorded the process in case anyone is interested:

https://youtu.be/4xGq5gmKEAA

7 Posts

YES Thank YOU.....did it and it is working great......I have my laptop back the way it should be.

I was using an external mouse most of the time...

2 Posts

April 4th, 2022 21:00

Thank you so much @JackNis  and @DashRendar for your help, I managed to get connect the wire using electrical tape instead of soldering. It seems to be working fine for now, ill report back if it stops working.

April 5th, 2022 09:00

Even though @JackNis and @DashRendar instructions are fantastic, I would hope Dell issued an official repair program or at the very least an official procedure. It would not like finding that I voided the warranty if I ever need it for fixing a problem the end-users had to troubleshoot themselves because of Dell's unresponsiveness.

1 Rookie

• 

95 Posts

April 7th, 2022 04:00

1 week after soldering - I haven't had so much as a hint of a glitch, and I've used this laptop pretty heavily over the past week. Usually by now, even if I think i had made a fix, it definitely would have shown up. I'm incredibly happy that this trackpad nightmare is OVER. I 100% recommend soldering the groundwire to anyone who's able to use a soldering iron.

3 Posts

April 7th, 2022 13:00

Hello everyone,
I have try to use a aluminium tape instead of soldering on the touchpad (it's always disastrous when i use soldering iron). I do this fix yesterday and i didn't see any glitch for the moment.

IMG_20220406_211422.jpg

April 7th, 2022 15:00

Hope that works well for you. I see it looks like you also removed the black foam(?) pad from underneath the metal tab. I wonder if simply removing that pad, cleaning the copper under it, and bending the metal tab so it is pressing directly against the copper would also provide a sufficient connection on its own. I'm not really sure what purpose that black foam is meant to serve.

2 Posts

April 7th, 2022 16:00

Please let us know how it work on long term as your fix is less risky.

Thanks!

3 Posts

April 7th, 2022 21:00

The black foam pad has never been here on my pc, maybe a fix solution tried by dell? (I bought it in the beginning of august 2021).

5 Posts

April 8th, 2022 01:00

Thanks so much JackNis, you're a real star! I soldered the wire a few days ago and the trackpad is working great. I feel like I have a working laptop now and not an expensive mistake.

Once again thanks for the fix, I think Dell owes you a free memory or ssd upgrade for working it out!

b e n

7 Posts

April 8th, 2022 03:00

I'm really glad my posts have helped, for the record griffinross2 and Dashrendar made the big leap on this.

I love the aluminum tape option, couple of things on it: make sure you clean the copper pad before using otherwise it won't conduct properly, and you don't need to connect all the way to that screw, just to the silver casing is fine. 

1 Message

August 17th, 2023 03:50

@JackNis​ So, I've tried both methods of solder and tape. The problem comes right back after a couple of hours, any more suggestions?

August 23rd, 2023 17:30

I would like to echo the post by @SpitfireMk​ 

" Even though @JackNis and @DashRendar instructions are fantastic, I would hope Dell issued an official repair program or at the very least an official procedure. It would not like finding that I voided the warranty if I ever need it for fixing a problem the end-users had to troubleshoot themselves because of Dell's unresponsiveness. " 

This issue have been around for 2 years since 2021. I believe Dell should be more accountable than it does now.

<Violations as defined by Dell removed. Read the Forum Code of Conduct. DELL-Admin>

(edited)

No Events found!