Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

16 Posts

November 6th, 2019 23:00

Still after 10 years not solved: Laptop does't always shut down when lid is clos

I have bought my second dell Laptop (Inspiron 5770 17"), before, I had a Dell Latitude, I got that one about 10 years ago.

I bought the Inspiron this March (2019). It came with Windows 10.

I thought, in the meantime (after around 10 years), Dell and Microsoft solved the problem, that when you have activated "standby when closing lid", it will work in 10 out of 10 times.

I mean: Yes, Dell and Microsoft are not one corporation, but nowadays, this is often the case, e.g. with Samsung and Google. All my phones work perfectly fine.

However, when I close my laptop lid, lets say in around 7 to 9 out of 10 times, it  - still after 10 years of 'research and development' - can happen that it really goes into standby, in the other cases, it will not.
The only way of noticing that was before to ... randomly hear the fan work after one or two hours.

This situation is unacceptable for a 1200€ device (as the problem was the exact same with my device which I had 10 years ago).

It is like you close your fridge and you trust the light to be switched off but it won't.

Meanwhile I found myself an 'emergency-solution': I have an USB-Licenser which has a red LED.
However, I only have 3 USB-Ports.
I leave this USB-E-Licenser plugged in one of my USB-Ports (even though I don't need it) - so that it can warn me with a red light, that the device didn't shut down properly. Otherwise, I would have to listen to the fan an I guess, the fan sometimes is deactivated.

You will say: If you don't like Dell, then go to another brand.

Well, to be honest, I am thinking of that.
I can't imagine, that Apple has the same issues.
The problem is, that most of my very expensive (music) software does only work on Windows.
But I can buy different software if it is necessary.

How do you guys deal with this whole issue?

Last night - twice - even something stranger happened.

My laptop was in standby, I often put it there manually with the 'power' button. The light of the USB-Licenser was definitely off.
But, I went to bed and it reactivated on his own!
I thought I had it forgotten and Í put it into standby again.
Then the same thing happened about 30 mins later.

Then I shut it down completely.
I searched on the internet for that issue and found out, that Microsoft's only hint is, that there could be devices, that are able to wake up the Laptop from standby. I followed the instruction and made an inquiry through the command line, to find out, what devices are able to do so.
The result was, that there is no device, which can do that.

So here I am and it is disappointing.
You may say: 'Well - this is Microsoft's problem and not ours - it's none of our business'

That may be true, but as I said, there are other examples (e.g. Android Phones or TVs ...) which work just fine and are made with 'components' from two very different brands.
I think in those cases, the companies have managed to talk to each other in order to produce a good product.
I have the impression, that Microsoft and Dell don't talk to each other at all, otherwise these issues would have been solved after 10 years, or what do you think?

16 Posts

November 7th, 2019 23:00

Maybe I will have to post this into another board,which is not hosted by Dell, as no one is answering.

16 Posts

November 8th, 2019 07:00

As no one answered, I posted my question on Reddit,
maybe someone will take a look there:

https://www.reddit.com/r/computer/comments/dth36r/still_after_10_years_not_solved_laptop_doesnt/ 

• 

17K Posts

November 8th, 2019 07:00

AlexT321,

Click here for information on Windows 10 Modern Standby.

Dell-Jesse L

16 Posts

November 8th, 2019 08:00

As I understand, you tell me to read pages 107 to 353.
In other words, you tell me - go buy apple.

OK.

16 Posts

November 8th, 2019 08:00

In how far does this site address to my questions:
1) Why does the standby sometimes work and sometimes not? How can this be influenced?
2) How come, that for the first time, my laptop got out of the standby mode on his own? I didn't give any permission for that.

November 8th, 2019 12:00

Hi,

In this case let's understand what is triggering the system to wake up. You can find the information by running the command as administrator. Follow the steps below:

Click on start

Type Command Prompt

Right Click and run as administrator.

Type in the command "powercfg -lastwake" press enter.

Send me an image of the outcome.

Also, send me an image of event viewer which would record the incident. 

You can search for Event viewer>Windows log>system

You can send me an image of the screen as well.

-Mellisa.

16 Posts

November 8th, 2019 14:00

As I said,  I followed the MS knowledge base article and it suggests the same thing.

powercfg -lastwake
Aktivierungsverlaufsanzahl - 1
Aktivierungsverlauf [0]
Aktivierungsquellenanzahl - 1
Aktivierungsquelle [0]
Typ: Schalter
Netzschalter

There was no valuable information for me there.

I don't know, if this will do any good, but this is my log from around the time, when my laptop reactivated on his own.
This doesn't explain to me, why it sometimes shuts down correctly and sometimes it doesn't (as my 10 year old dell latitude did also).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ETqCIH4-QFKooB87YkcN0WPLy26FS4zt (screenshot)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z6vKWttHAZxpJfZ5EUAPE7SniY7eFdBo (eventlog export as a txt file)

I don't know if I was in the exact time span, though. I could export the whole log, if that would help.

I also get the following warning since my last windows update:

Intel Optane(tm) Memory Pinning : can not load the file DLL ´iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll´ : Can not find the specified module. ( Exception HRESULT : 0x8007007E).

I don't know, if this is related.

• 

25.7K Posts

November 8th, 2019 15:00

Hello, let me first address the Intel Intel Optane(TM) Memory Pinning issue.

To fix this please check the below link: https://dell.to/2qABkFg

https://dell.to/2WWmAN7

This should fix the issue.

• 

25.7K Posts

November 8th, 2019 15:00

And, as you already know with Modern Standby, the system wakes when there is real-time action required, such as OS maintenance, or a user wakes the system. And, yes it should not be intermittent unless something else is waking up the system.

The logs you shared, unfortunately, I am unable to access them.

Could you please share them on our sos@dell.com.

We can review them and get back.

16 Posts

November 8th, 2019 22:00

Sometimes I envy those people, who do have a macbook and don‘t have to deal with those problems. Only I grew up with pcs, not with macs. My first pc was a dell. It was a good one. Then I got two dell laptops and its a shame. Some of my friends with macbooks would laugh at me, if I told them, what problems I have to deal with and how much time i spend on trying to solve them

16 Posts

November 8th, 2019 22:00

I have sent you the logs.

„And, as you already know [...]“

from where should I know that from? 
I haven’t ‘t read the 200+ pages yet.
In fact, when I bought this computer, I wanted to focus on music production.
What should I have considered instead?
That the system can wake up to do an automatic windows update, without even me knowing, which can effect in a total loss of all my data, like it happened with the last update, which I authorized some days ago?
Is this how it all works?
So the main purpose of this laptop is to get to know, how it doesn't fail. Besides that, it may be suitable for other purposes, like browsing the web or music production. Well ....

16 Posts

November 8th, 2019 23:00

Just consider the screen-pwm-dimming LED refresh rate issue.
Apple uses non decedtable pwm.
On my old dell laptop (latitude), when you dimmed your screen via Windows below 100% brightness, pwm flickering was the case. You could literally see that - I am very sensible to that and it is causing me eyestrain.
I ‚solved‘ the problem by downloading a third party app (dimscreen), with which I have to leave my brightness always at 100% and use a grey „layer“ on my windows-desktop, which on the one hand reduces the contrast but also can dim the screen without heaving to deal eith a 200 hz pwm frequency.

I bought the new laptop - still one thing hasn‘t changed after 10 years. I still have to use 100% brightness together with dim screen - even when I am on battery mode. Is this acceptable? There was a third party open source app, which I used ob my prior latitude, to set the pwm to 100.000 hz or something, but this is too experimental for me on a relatively new device. Why are there good screens nowadays, which take care of that problem, why is it already normal to have no pwm in e.g. apple devices, and with dell, I have to live with a 200 hz pwm frequency, when my brightness is below 100%, i don't get it

Company slogans may be a bit old-fashioned nowadays.
but it surly isn't „dell - we‘re aiming for the best“
Does it necessarily have to be „dell - go buy apple“?

• 

109 Posts

November 9th, 2019 01:00

I have replied to you via private message.

Simran

16 Posts

November 9th, 2019 01:00

And I have answered an am still waiting for answers.

16 Posts

November 9th, 2019 02:00

Concerning the Optane question (which is the question which is least interesting to me of all posted questions),
it didn't work out.
It says, optane is already deactivated.
Maybe this is the problem.
However - this issue isn't solved by trying to -redeactivate it.

Here are some screenshots

https://ibb.co/bP3gLmb
https://ibb.co/Y3BPnGs
https://ibb.co/2t5CY2P

optane2.pngoptane3png.pngoptane1.png

No Events found!