Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

5 Posts

May 5th, 2021 02:00

SupportAssist Recommended update fails to install 3 times

SupportAssist updated itself from v3.8.1 to v3.9 and then tried three times to install "Recommended" update "SupportAssist OS Recovery" but failed each time. The laptop is plugged in to the power supply. See photos.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there a fix?

IMG_20210505_094118.jpgIMG_20210505_094315.jpg

5 Posts

May 6th, 2021 00:00

@LSUFAN51 - Thanks for the info. In my case it seems to have been DELL SupportAssist (DSA) v3.9 wrongly detecting that my machine needed the "SA OS Recovery" update. Explanation: -

1. I uninstalled DSA, but I then saw that "DSA OS Recovery Plugin" and "DSA Remediation" were also installed so I uninstalled those as well since I wanted to "Start with a clean sheet" regarding DSA.
  2. I restarted the DELL then reinstalled DSA from your link and it is now v3.9.
  3. Running DSA scan this time did not find the "SA OS Recovery" update whereas previously it did. I decided to try again but restarted the DELL first and it still did not find the update.

This is why I think the previous DSA was wrongly detecting the update as being compatible with my machine. I could be wrong and it may decide to find it tomorrow or the day after. Who knows?

For now it seems the uninstall and reinstall advice has worked and stopped the 'Failed' error so I am sorted. Thanks again.

2 Posts

May 5th, 2021 07:00

I have had the same problem.

I turned off anti-virus software for the third attempt - installation still failed.

5 Posts

May 5th, 2021 07:00

Another two attempts to install and both failed again.

Ah well, at least it is not a Critical update. I'll give up and accept that it will install when it installs at some future date. No panic unless it is a critical update.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

May 5th, 2021 08:00

Always make backup images of the hard drive!

5 Posts

May 5th, 2021 09:00

Thanks for the replies.

Yes. I made a backup only 4 days ago using Macrium Reflect, which is my preferred method. I don't need the DELL OS Recovery but it would be nice if it updated as it should. Just annoying really.

Maybe DELL will become aware of the problem and issue a fix.

5 Posts

May 5th, 2021 10:00

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 5th, 2021 10:00

I would suggest uninstalling / reinstalling Support Assist to get to the latest version. 

Use free version of Revo Uninstaller tool to uninstall the old version of Support Assist and the left over Support registry files.

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download

You can download / install the latest version from the link below;

Dell SupportAssist for PCs | Dell US

Please click on the link below for additional information that might be helpful to you:

SupportAssist for PCs and Tablets Clean Uninstall and Reinstall | Dell US 

2 Posts

May 5th, 2021 11:00

Thank you - I uninstalled and reinstalled and that solved the problem....

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 5th, 2021 12:00

Glad to know uninstalling and reinstalling Support Assist fix the problem. Hopefully it will help Wiganken as well.

Thanks for the update.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 6th, 2021 06:00

I'm happy to know Support Assist recommended update installed successfully. Thanks for the update and sharing your solution for other people to see with the same problem.

No Events found!