Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2018 08:00

bios update problem

hi guys i have a problem with my Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559. I need to update my bios , i have: dell bios 1.2.0 version,but when i downloaded the last version exe file and i start it , show me error: unable to start secure flash session. the same happen when i try to update bios from a flash usb key.

April 13th, 2019 12:00

I did the bios update as requested by Dell update software and it came back up but all the USB ports are dead.  Want to go back to 1.2.9 but not sure if that is the version of BIOS on the hard drive.  Is there a way to find out?  I have tried all the fixes for the USB ports to no avail.  All worked fine before the update...UGH Am afraid to do the BIOS recovery thing as I am afraid it might be worse....

April 13th, 2019 15:00

I found the exe bios files on my downloads and everytime I try to run one it goes fine and then says it can't verify or something about flash.  I then find the wifi turned off and only way to get it back to auto connect is reboot.  Does the bios exe file go out on the Internet to Dell and check the file or is this another error with the BIOS exe file?

293 Posts

April 13th, 2019 16:00

The BIOS is located on the mother board.  Any change to it from the original, can effect other operations of your system.  If it is working perfectly......why fix it.  Here is an article that will further explain.

https://www.howtogeek.com/136881/htg-explains-do-you-need-to-update-your-computers-bios/

April 16th, 2019 19:00

Yes I just thought since it was pushed out by Dell it might be something to consider....WRONG!!  Now I have a working laptop but no USB ports.  no way to use wireless mouse or my scanner or external DVD device.  Short of replacing the motherboard there nothing apparently I can do.  At this point I am looking for another one to replace this one...a mother board is almost $400.  I just need something that can accept both drives so I do not have to mess with re-doing all my work.   Any ideas?  

April 18th, 2019 10:00

I looked up how to recover the bios and it states

1. Restart the computer.

2. Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard until the BIOS Recovery page appears.

3. On the BIOS Recovery screen, select Reset NVRAM (if available) and press the Enter key. Select Disabled and press the Enter key if you wish to save the current BIOS settings.

4. Select Recover BIOS and press the Enter key to start the recovery process.

When i try that it goes into a dell assist page and never goes into any bios recovery screen.  Should i delete the dell assist program so the laptop has a change to get into the recovery dialoque?

May 9th, 2019 11:00

Same problem with trying to update to 1.3.0  "Secure Flash Check Failure!!".  No external drives plugged in.

1 Message

May 9th, 2019 12:00

Inspiron 7559

Service Tag:  (Purchased on 10/16/15. Warranty expired on 10/16/16)

Having the same exact problem. 

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

June 1st, 2019 03:00

Unfortunately, after one year the problem persists despite the various at attempts.

2 Posts

July 21st, 2019 03:00

I disabled Virtualization and the result didn't change. I then tried all kinds of enable/disable settings of the limited options within BIOS and still got the same 'Unable to start a Secure flash session' error message.

1 Message

January 15th, 2020 18:00

Totally stuck at 1.2.9. When I reboot I have to disable UEFI secure boot and reenable it to boot into windows. I've been trying to upgrade to 1.3 or 1.31 to no avail. The control/esc key does not bring up the bios recovery tool. Disabling virtualization does not work. removing all usb drives but the one that contains the flash file does not work- it tells me it cannot start a secure flash session.

1 Message

June 14th, 2021 12:00

yes, updating the bios in order worked!  Mine was stuck on 1.2.7 and failed to go to 1.3.1.  Did 1.2.8 then 1.2.9 and 1.3.0 and all were successful.  Thanks for the tip!

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

June 14th, 2021 12:00

I haven't solved it yet. After 6 years I'll solve by changing notebook. I have tried everything. 

2 Posts

March 6th, 2023 01:00

Follow the screenshot attached 2023-03-06 14.27.24.jpeg

No Events found!