Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

17 Posts

October 8th, 2018 12:00

dell g7 and g5 Bios 1.5.0

For everyone wondering if the new bios that released today fixes the overheating issues, it doesnt. 

It was stated that dell removed the 1.4.1 bios to "address the overheating issue" but the fans still wait until 94-96c to start with bios 1.5.0.

I could barely play any games on this "GAMING LAPTOP" for more than 2 hours without my pc thermal throttling.When the cpu is making 90c of temp, all the parts near it are going to heat soak so these laptops wont last long at all.

My old msi laptop i used to game on for 2-5 hours each day for 6 years, it still works and had CUSTOM FAN CONTROL 6 YEARS AGO. Im fed up with how dell doesn't make the fans user controllable like most gaming laptop brands do and just pushes a non downgradable bios on us that completely cripples these laptops.

I had a great experience with this laptop from when purchased in July until 1.4.1 came out. Now im listing this for sale and buying an msi so i can actually use a laptop marketed for gaming to GAME and have user controllable fan settings. My fingers also wont burn when i touch the middle of the keyboard like they do now on this

15 Posts

October 26th, 2018 06:00

Haha, same here!

15 Posts

October 26th, 2018 10:00

Hey Dell

Can you just be honest and just say if you're gonna release a BIOS update that fixes the fan issue? I need to know so I can sell this laptop, I can't use the thing when it reaches 60C when doing nothing.

I feel like I've wasted 1200 USD for nothing.

October 26th, 2018 11:00

I'm a fan of dell and g7 is one of the gaming laptops that I trust. Everything was so good until I upgraded my bios to 1.4.1 and since then bad things have started. I tried everything to get my gaming laptop back to its original state, but could not and continued to hope for the bios update 1.5.0. But the fact that nothing changes my laptop is still very bad, which makes me really disappointed. At $ 1200 for the g7 it made me feel really unworthy of what I and the fans received compared to the gaming laptops of other manufacturers.

October 27th, 2018 17:00

With how long this issue has been going on i know dell doesnt care about any of the g7/g5 users.

They could've easily implemented the multiple fan profiles in the dell power manager app like they did on old insperons but they haven't and have given no official response to the weeks of people complaining about the fans.

I just listed my laptop for sale and i hope i dont take too much of a price loss because im going with any other gaming laptop. As far as i know every other one has user controllable fans/ fan profiles.

I have a MAJOR feeling that this was outselling dells overpriced alienwares so they had to ruin these to try to sell more alienwares that allow you to control the fans. smfh dell

42 Posts

November 2nd, 2018 03:00

At the beginning I'll write that I would like to manually control the fans / appropriate power plans in the Dell G5 / G7. Both hands for it, But... Bios 1.5.0 is not the worst. I have i5-8300h + 1060 and I did 2 things that calmed my nerves. First, undervolt processor with -0.165 vcore offset, second I set power limit at 55W (intel XTU) At this point, OCCT + Furmark shows me about 80 degrees with spikes up to 86-88 degrees. Not so bad. Heaven benchmark after 2h showed me about 66 degrees with spikes to 70. I suspect that the thermo paste would lower temps few degrees and the liquid metal would probably be about 6-10.

1 Message

November 12th, 2018 07:00

I have the same problem with this bios 1.5.0, but it can not be rolled back to 1.3.0. It is just annoying that the "bleep" comes out randomly every a few intervals.

November 19th, 2018 05:00

DELL FIX THIS ISSUE!

November 20th, 2018 09:00

new BIOS update worthless still have issues :(

November 25th, 2018 03:00

Hi, i found this link to downgrade bios from dell website.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln125793/downgrading-the-system-bios-on-a-dell-system?lang=en

Do you guys find this applicable?

12 Posts

December 30th, 2018 03:00

Agree. I have just updated mine to 1.6.1 . I don't remember what version it was before but now my computer runs supper hot and the CPU seems to be sucking power all the time since it's frequency keeps high most of the time. Before it would go as low as 800mhz and stay there if i'm not using the computer for anything. Now if I turn it on and open the intel monitor thing it shows 2.5, 3.1 etc.. it never goes below 1.5. So sad with this man. 

1 Message

September 23rd, 2021 11:00

try to clean up its heatsink my g7 collects dust balls every 3 months so i hacked a way to clean it frequently after cleanup g7 works flawlessly keep temps in 60s.-70s

No Events found!