Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 26th, 2018 17:00

laptop won't power on fully

I have a dell inspiron 15 5558 that has been acting funny. When I hit the power button, the fans power on, the keyboard backlights turn on and I can see the power light turn on.

After 1.5 seconds, the power light and keyboard turns off and the fans power down. I assumed the power shut off so tried to push the power button again. At this point, I heard the sound of something spinning slowing down to a stop (I assume it's the hard drive).

Pushing the power button again, the same stuff happens.

I've tried performing a long push of the power button, I've tried it with the battery out and adapter plugged in, as well as battery only. I also tried to reset the unit by holding the power while the battery and adapter is disconnected.

I managed to get it to fully boot up once early this week but the problems started again a few days ago. There's no diagnostics beeps or lights.

Thoughts on what might be the issue and what the best way to get it fixed is? Dell support is saying they can diagnose it for $59 but not sure if I want to find out how much the total cost of repair will end up being..

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 27th, 2018 08:00

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to assist you on this.

What is the status of the power button light when the system starts does it blink amber or white?

If you press the caps-lock key is there any light on the key?

Power on the computer by holding down the D key & check if there are any colored bars displayed.

Are you using the adapter that is shipped with the computer?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2020 02:00

Hi, did you ever get this resolved? I'm having identical issues.  Was it expensive to fix? 

Thanks

No Events found!