Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

3 Posts

November 7th, 2018 05:00

yet another Inspiron right hinge issue

I too have the dreaded right hinge issue on my son's laptop.  As the laptop was 3 years old when the problem developed and I saw Dell disavowed any design issue in the many failures online (see links below) I ordered the replacement lower case online.  I called and asked Dell to cover the installation labor only as I wasn't sure I wished to attempt it on my own.    I got bumped to a manager who gave me the party line;  not a design flaw... user wear and tear... off 1 year warranty.   So disappointing when a company doesn't realize people vote with their feet and won't own up to issues that are their responsibility!  In my job I have ordered 100's of dells.  Never felt they weren't straight up or reasonable about warranty issues in the past.  

These hinges are not being misused; the tightness of the hinges and screws without loctite are causing the issues.   Dell has lost a customer for life for not meeting me half way!   

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Inspiron-5547-right-hinge-damage/m-p/5020073#M894674    

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Dell-Inspiron-15-5547-right-side-hinge-issues/td-p/5108460

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Dell-s-hinge-policy-regarding-Inspiron-15-7000-series/td-p/5144121

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Dell-Inspiron-15-5000-Series-Broken-Hinge/td-p/4783141

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Inspiron-5547-laptop-pops-open-at-the-right-side-joint-while/m-p/4557534

293 Posts

February 25th, 2019 09:00

ratman, I enjoyed watching your U tube video that you attached.

Question - What tool and method should one use to remove the center cover?   Do you recommend using a small screw driver and will the cover pop off?  Do you grab hold at the front edge or at the very ends to pry off?  My 7000 is 2 months old.

Thank you

293 Posts

February 25th, 2019 10:00

lagerman, thank you for this post as they get buried.  This sounds like it should be a PERMINENT TOPIC, to be viewed at all times.

If it weren't for ratman's resurrection, it would not have made me aware, until its to late.  I would be looking for preventative maintenance.  I don't open and close our laptops all that much, but dust would accumulate.

The 3+ year old 3500, I want to oil too, now that this has been brought to my attention!

3 Posts

February 26th, 2019 05:00

Follow up.... I did ultimately replace the bottom case of the laptop.... zero support or consideration from Dell (no surprise there!). Think it was about $40.  Spent some time loosening the hinge tension and sprayed some white lithium lube... biggest issue was too loose. Eventually I was comfortable with it and put it all back together to get no response from the motherboard... turned out the processor needed new thermal paste.  Also the leads came off the wireless nic antenna... so careful there... getting that sorted out was almost as big a pain as the hinge.  Also told my son to use two hands when opening it.  All good now no thanks to Dell. My current laptop is a Lenovo.... fool me once.....  L

1 Message

April 2nd, 2019 22:00

So frustrated with them right now. I too have the same right hinge issue. The model is the 2 in 1 and I don't even use it as a tablet. I have the additional warranty and being told I would have to go through the out of warranty support. It seems like enough of us are experiencing this issue, maybe we should look at doing a to have this resolved. I can tell you my issue is NOT due to usage in terms of opening and closing my lid! I was also told they (DELL) don't have this as a reported issue! Maybe they should review their boards.

1 Message

August 5th, 2020 10:00

Even I am having the same issue. I bought this laptop in October 2014 in Rs 65000 and paid for an extended warranty. For the initial few years, I was not using it as I didn't have time to transfer the data from my last DELL Laptop. When I started using it, within months the right hinge pops out. Then, I reported, it was under warranty, they fixed it but within a few months again, it pops out. They again fixed it but within months it again pops out and starts damaging the body. 

My old laptop was usable so technically I could never use this DELL 5547 and it's still lying as a showpiece. It was repaired by DELL twice so there are other issues that are coming up. Now, I can't use it, neither I can throw it.

I saw there are so many people who faced the same issue, but the company never felt guilty of wasting its customer's hard-earned money. This is really unethical. My last DELL Laptop was a gem and that's why I went for DELL again after paying extra money.

Now, I have switched to HP.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

September 11th, 2023 22:24

DELL IS TERRIBLE WITH ACKNOWLEDGING THE ISSUES.   IF THEIR OWN FORUMS AND USERS WRITE ABOUT THE ISSUES, THEY SHOULD ATLEAST NOT DENY THE QUALITY OF THEIR PRODUCTS.  ITS TERRIBLE DESIGN, RIDDLED WITH PROBLEMS.  AND DELL WANTS TO LIVE IN FALSE REALITY.

No Events found!