Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 29th, 2014 13:00

10G Ports and Isilon labeling

I am curious who's bright idea it was to designate port 1 and port 2 exactly the opposite of how they are designated with LEDs. It's not just a labeling issue,  if i unplug the cable from the top port LED next to 1 goes out but within Isilon i get an alert about interface B (or something of that nature). Imagine how confusing it is to troubleshoot connectivity issues.

9-29-2014 4-39-30 PM.jpg

99 Posts

October 1st, 2014 02:00

I agree, it can (and is) confusing when the manufacturers of the various components cannot agree if port numbering starts at zero or one.  So, the designer is left with the following decision on mapping, using two components, one starting at zero, the other starting at one:

0->1, 1->2  or

0->2, 1->1

Isilon chose the mapping and added the label that you see in the picture to help, visually.  If we chose the opposite mapping, we'd hear from 'the other side' just as loudly

1.2K Posts

September 30th, 2014 02:00

> I am curious who's bright idea it was...

ask "thaag" as in

version = "$Id: probe_config.0.gc XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX thaag $";

nic3 {

name = "cxgb0";

order = 1;

}

nic4 {

name = "cxgb1";

order = 0;

}

scnr

-- Peter

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 30th, 2014 06:00

Peter,

what am i supposed to do with that ?    Seriously does anyone else think it's an issue ?  If someone from Isilon support tells me, hey you have an issue with NIC 1, can you unplug it. I would look at the interface and assume that port on the top is NIC 1 and when unplugged LED 1 would turn off and as far as i am concerned i disconnected the correct interface. While in reality i disconnected NIC 2 and potentially took the entire node offline.  Thoughts ?

212 Posts

Hi Dynamox

Thank you for sharing that information.

We are in the middle of a large install with multiple racks filled with Isilon from top to buttom..nobody looks at that small label under the ports...

Nice to know that things a done in a not so smart way...

And I agree, that this is not the best wasy of doing things.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

Peter_Sero wrote:

Thanks anyway for the warning -- the bottom line is to trust the Isilon-provided label more that the NIC-manufactorer-provided tiny digits.

there is got to be a reason why Isilon went through the trouble of not using common sense and mapping internal interface 1 to LED 2 .  Isilon folks care to chime in ?  Mr. Rob Peglar  ?

1.2K Posts

Thanks anyway for the warning -- the bottom line is to trust the Isilon-provided label more that the NIC-manufactorer-provided tiny digits. No idea (but curious) why the numbering has this twist. 10gige-1=cxgb1, 10gige-2=cxgb0 is also documented in KB 16654.

1.2K Posts

October 1st, 2014 06:00

Weren't the first 10GE NICs on Isilon nodes mounted horizontally? The twisted mapping might have been chosen so that 10gige-1 and 10gige-2 sit left to right as usual. Later the mapping from BSD interface names (cxgb*, matching driver/hw labeling) to OneFS names would never be changed in a model specific way, in order avoid confusion on this side... Not fully convinced but have seen stranger things...

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 1st, 2014 07:00

Rob,

it would be ok if we were talking about starting count from 0 or 1, but that's not what we are talking about here.

Here i have unplugged twinax from port 1, LED is off

10-1-2014 10-49-54 AM.jpg

Now look what i see in OneFS WebUI, for people with common sense this should say 10gige-1.

10-1-2014 10-51-54 AM.jpg

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

October 21st, 2014 01:00

Hi Dynamox,

I totally agree with you, there is space to improve. Why don't you give your feedback in the following ATE? Perhaps your suggestion will help to improve our product experience.

Ask The Expert: Continuous Improvement Through Customer Feedback

1.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2014 01:00

"EMC Manufacturing is investigating potential changes to the manufacturing process [...] in future node production."

KB 195063, out yesterday.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

December 3rd, 2014 04:00

Cool, I believe many Isilon customer are waiting for this potential changes. Currently, the solution is visually verifying the 10GBe network port numbering scheme using the lights on the back of the card in conjunction with the output of the 'ifconfig' command on the affected node. If a node is affected by this issue, they can removing or blacking out the 10GBe port number label on the chassis to prevent future confusion.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

December 3rd, 2014 06:00

Jeffey,

you are quoting the KB Peter posted,  that KB applies to specific set of nodes because "visually verifying the 10GBe network port numbering scheme"  on my NL400 would get me into "oh crap i pulled the wrong cable" state, thus this discussion.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

December 3rd, 2014 18:00

Hi Dynamox,

This solution is recommended by KB195063, it is suitable for Isilon S210 and X410 nodes. I hope this solution can benefit for S210 and X410 customers. You suggestion is very helpful, EMC manufacturing is also investigating potential changes according to the KB information, thanks for your share.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

December 3rd, 2014 20:00

solution ? You call this a solution:  "If a node is affected by this issue, we recommend removing or blacking out the 10GBe port number label on the chassis to prevent future confusion"

This is poor engineering on Isilon part, if you are going to source your hardware components from different vendors you need to make sure it adheres to your standards.  Don't ask customer to run around with a sharpie, scratching out labels.

No Events found!