Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 14th, 2015 07:00

Isilon SmartQuota Notifications

Hello all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a directory quota that notifies the user actually exceeding that limit via mail?

I see in quota notifications that you can choose to notify the owner and there is an email mapping rule for Active directory but there are not examples or explanations on how to configure it or how it should work.

This document is the most informative PDF i gìve found.

http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h10575-wp-quota-management-with-smartquotas.pdf

Thanks in advance

Guido

125 Posts

May 14th, 2015 14:00

> right , owner != offending user ..unless we are talking about home directories where user id has been granted owner ACL.

Correct, owner is the owner of the object, in this case the directory.  What I thought *also* happened was that OneFS looked up the user violating the quota (since we know the ID), determined the email address either from an auth provider or a mapping rule, then sent an additional notification to that user. 

That doesn't appear to be the case, but I'm still trying to find definitive proof of that...

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 14th, 2015 08:00

since it's a directory quota, it does not track utilization on per user bases..so how would it know who to notify ? Maybe i misunderstood your question.

19 Posts

May 14th, 2015 11:00

I was hoping that the user writing too much data could be recognized and notified via mail.

I have been told that there are softwares running on windows file server doing just that so i hoped that somehow you could do the same with isilon.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 14th, 2015 12:00

i have not tried this on Isilon (i have on VNX) but maybe a combo of directory/user quotas will get you what you are after ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 14th, 2015 13:00

right , owner != offending user ..unless we are talking about home directories where user id has been granted owner ACL.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

Kip,

who gets notified, owner of the directory ? We are talking about NTFS owner ?

125 Posts

> who gets notified, owner of the directory ? We are talking about NTFS owner ?

The owner of the directory (if you have that set), and I *thought* the user that exceeded the quota was dynamically looked up (in AD or LDAP), or explicitly looked up via a predefined mapping set in the notification settings.

I say "thought" because now I think I'm mistaken.  I'm going to delete my other comment.  I tested this quickly, but I think I had a rogue hardcoded email address in my config that made me think it worked.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 14th, 2015 14:00

Kip, maybe you should file an RFE ? ..those guys report to you anyway , so your request will be at the top of the stack.

125 Posts

May 14th, 2015 15:00

>Kip, maybe you should file an RFE ?

Yes, I will, or dig up the existing RFE and comment on it. I'll also file a bug (as an enhancement) within engineering, if there isn't one already.

> ..those guys report to you anyway , so your request will be at the top of the stack.

Ha!  They don't report to me, but I'll see what I can do anyway...

1.2K Posts

May 14th, 2015 20:00

Let me try to think this through...

If a user writes to a shared volume and fills it up hitting the directory quota,

that user might be identified and get notified, from a logical standpoint.

But that user doesn't need to be one who consumes the largest

amount of data within the share (need user quotas for this),

nor be the one who has recently written the largest amounts

(need history of user quotas for this).

In many cases, where multiple users write concurrently, it will be just a matter

of chance who will hit the directory quota first and thus will receive the notification.

From that point on, any user who writes against the exceeded quota will

get notified... (unless notifications are restricted to only the initial hit).

Neither case makes too much sense to me... fwiw

Cheers

-- Peter

19 Posts

May 15th, 2015 01:00

Kip:

The owner of the directory (if you have that set), and I *thought* the user that exceeded the quota was dynamically looked up (in AD or LDAP), or explicitly looked up via a predefined mapping set in the notification settings.

I thought that too as the interface help does talk about resolving the user name based on AD informations or user defined rule.

At least the manual and documentation abut this "owner" filed has room for improvement.

I also think that it makes sense anyway to notify every user actually exceeding the quota.

Guido

125 Posts

May 15th, 2015 07:00

> In many cases, where multiple users write concurrently, it will be just a matter of chance who will hit the directory quota first and thus will receive the notification.

Yep, that's right.  That doesn't help everyone to be sure, but isn't without value IMO.  Dealing with notification throttling is also something that can be engineered in without too much trouble.

No Events found!