Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 22nd, 2017 08:00

NFS mount can not be accessed by virtual machine after upgrading OneFS from V7.1.1.0 to V8.0.0.4

Our Isilon X400 was just upgraded from V7.1.1.0 to V8.0.0.4. After upgrading,  virtual machines on VMware can not access their NFS mount from Isilon, but physical server can still access their NFS mount from Isilon. Default Unix NFS export options normally do not include *insecure*, it is set as "secure" by default.  This is the possible reason. How to enable "insecure" under OneFS?

I have completed the following steps but didn't resolve the problem:

On OneFS GUI: 

Protocal -->NFS -->Export Settings --> Security Flavors --> Use Custom --> check UNIX (system).

Can anybody provide suggestion?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2017 14:00

Thank you for input.  Finally I found the issue is "NFS mounts from unprivileged ports". The issue was resolved.  Hope  the following resolution can help the other ones.

On a classical Unix setup we call this insecure NFS export option, on the DellEMC Isilon site I found the following article: "NFS mounts from unprivileged ports". This should be easy to turn on and off, See:

https://emcservice--c.na55.visual.force.com/apex/KB_How_To?id=kA5j00000008Tit

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Procedure

OneFS 7.2.X using Userspace NFS

The NFS service has been moved from the operating system kernel space into user space. The configuration of kernel space tuning via sysctl no longer applies and has moved into gconfig.
To allow NFS mounts from unprivileged ports:

# isi_gconfig registry.Services.lwio.Parameters.Drivers.nfs.NFSPrivPort=0

By default, registry.Services.lwio.Parameters.Drivers.nfs.NFSPrivPort is 1, unprivileged port is not allowed.
Restart NFS service

# /usr/likewise/bin/lwsm restart onefs_nfs
Stopping service: onefs_nfs
Starting service: onefs_nfs

NOTE: You have to restart NFS on every Isilon node.

Kernel Space NFS

The setting is managed by a sysctl in kernel space.

252 Posts

August 22nd, 2017 11:00

Hello 850175,

Is it possible that you are running into a variation of this issue?

465155 : OneFS 7.2 - 8.0: After rolling upgrade, ESX hosted VMware virtual machines connected to an Isilon NFS datastore are unable to able to vMotion or snapshot https://support.emc.com/kb/465155

31 Posts

August 22nd, 2017 12:00

Is it possible that your NFS clients are now trying to connect via NFSv4 rather than NFSv3?

Most (if not all) Linux clients will try to connect using the highest version of NFS advertised by the server.   I can't remember off the top of my head when NFSv4 was added to OneFS but it might have been in the jump from 7.1.1 and 8.0.0.

The best solution is to always specify the 'vers' option in the client mount options to make sure you get what you expect.

Cheers,
Chris

No Events found!