Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

• 

6.7K Posts

April 10th, 2015 00:00

Timing of adding node

Hi all

Please give me some idea on your site ...

My customer wants to know what kind of CPU usage would let Isilon to be additional Node ?

( eg CPU usage always 50% Site need to  add node every 6month ...)

Does anybody know or show me the CPU usage in regards to additional Node cycle ?

April 10th, 2015 06:00

In addition to those questions that need to be answered, I've found it fairly inefficient to add only 1 node at a time.

With 2:1 protection, you should add nodes in multiples of 3.  With +2 protection, you should add in multiples of 4.

The rationale is that if you're running out of space, you will not help much by adding only a single node since writes still have to go to the rest of the cluster until the space is balanced (which can take weeks in some environments).  If you add 3 nodes at a time, then all new writes can be sent to the new nodes.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hi Ayas,

Thanks for your question. I probably don't have the full answer but wanted to add a little to it. This sounds like the customer wants to know when to add a node to an existing Isilon cluster based on CPU usage. Is that correct?  While I agree that CPU usage is an important consideration, the question should be expanded to include more considerations than just CPU usage. For example:

How much unused disk space is available?

How fast is existing storage being used?

Are there any network interface bandwidth problems?

Does the customer have "peak" times for storage needs, such as heavy storage access when creating end-of-month reports?

Has the customer's workflow changed since the original implementation or latest update to the cluster? (Maybe the customer needs a different tier of storage in addition to what they are already using.)

The customer might benefit from a PS engagement known as "Isilon Configuration Assurance". (Disclosure: I develop Professional Services offerings for Isilon.)

In summary, it sounds like this conversation could (and should) be moved from commodity purchase, based on Isilon node CPU usage, to a periodic solutions-based discussion.

Kind regards,

-Marvin Harris

125 Posts

> The rationale is that if you're running out of space, you will not help much by adding only a single node since writes still have to go to the rest of the cluster until the space is balanced (which can take weeks in some environments).  If you add 3 nodes at a time, then all new writes can be sent to the new nodes.

I don't know of any optimization in OneFS that works like this.  If you're using FEC, and the file is large enough, and there is free space elsewhere on the node pool you're writing to, blocks will still go to the "old" nodes, in addition to the newly added nodes.

It's certainly true that OneFS will prefer nodes/drives with more free space, but not at the expense of writing a stripe inefficiently.

1.2K Posts

April 10th, 2015 07:00

Ed, I see what you are aiming at... but wouldn't that take just "batches of at least 3" rather than "multiples of 3" (= 3, 6, 9)?

(or 4 for +2 protection resp.)

-- Peter

• 

6.7K Posts

April 12th, 2015 17:00

hi ed and kipcranford

Thanks for the comment , Right,,,it is depends on how cluster configured ,,,Adding one node may not worth whole...

thanks !

aya

• 

6.7K Posts

April 12th, 2015 17:00

Hi harrim10

Thanks for the reply , you are right there are so much factor involved ....That is why he asked this question to start with .

I may suggest him to your  suggestion they may need to take ...

Thanks heaps!

aya

• 

6.7K Posts

April 13th, 2015 22:00

HI everyone,,,,

FYI ... I just had some idea from other user about CPU usage and Node .

Note that this is not official and just for this particular user .... he has line with 60% usage as It will be

Average of  30% CPU usage for jobs with Impact Policy set as Medium ( like FlexProtect)

and leave some extra for unexpected ...

No Events found!