Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2016 06:00

jCIFS Support??

I have an application group who are trying to create a "roll-your-own" CIFS/SMB client to run on AIX and access SMB shares on an Isilon running 7.2.1.3. The first question at this point would be - is it supported by Dell/EMC. The answer  in the Compatability and support document is a bit too generic to provide an answer. So.... I have two questions:

1. Does EMC support jCIFS based clients? I have an SR opened for this question.

2. Does anyone have any experience with custom written clients based on jCIFS?

Any additional insight would be appreciated.

31 Posts

December 8th, 2016 14:00

We do not test jCIFS clients and we know of cases where customer have had problems with them.

Cheers,
Chris

1.2K Posts

December 8th, 2016 23:00

There is a recent KB: 000493096 -- or is that already a direct response to your SR?

-- Peter

300 Posts

December 9th, 2016 02:00

jcifs does only smb1 (afaik).

i would not recommend to implement anything on ancient protocols.

December 9th, 2016 05:00

Thanks sluetze,

Not being SMB2/SMB3 compliant would be a killer. Avoiding jCIFS is exactly my intent.

Thanks Peter,

I haven't gotten a response to the SR yet so this KB will be very useful.

Thanks Chris,

One more nail in it's coffin.

December 9th, 2016 06:00

If the task were mine to do I would certainly use NFS.

It's a long story but the developers want to be able to access a SMB share from an AIX server. I wasn't part of the design team so I'm not sure why they want to do this. I suspect the way that Isilon merges NTFS and POSIX permissions and ownership is a big factor. They seem to have a lot of trouble understanding what is going on and they keep having the same problems over and over.

1.2K Posts

December 9th, 2016 06:00

Why not try NFS?  AIX has good NFS support, and multiprotocol (NFS and CIFS access to the same data) is quite easy to do on Isilon, with a little pre-thought and planning.

No Events found!