Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2014 13:00

share name overlap

Hello,

We will be consolidating multiple file servers to Isilon and have run into the issue of sharename overlaps. Two different application need the same share name. Our cluster is at 7.0.2.8 with multiple access zones.

I read on some posts that this can be done using access zones. Could not find any documentation though. Is this a future release feature?

Thanks,

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 10:00

Append something to the name of the share when you create it on the cluster.

For example:

share1_marketing

share2_marketing

Then add the specific share you want to use into the access zone. In there you can edit the share name and remove the data that you added to the share name so it appears to the users as just ‘marketing'. I believe you can find more information by looking up share aliasing. However, you can not have two SMB shares with the same name when you create it under protocols in the WebUI.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 2nd, 2014 18:00

it's available in 7.x  ..there are some caveats  in 7.1.1 that you need to be aware of.

https://support.emc.com/docu55654_Isilon-OneFS-7.1.1-and-Later:-Best-Practices-for-Upgrading-Clusters-Configured-with-Ac…

October 3rd, 2014 06:00

Thanks Dynamox!

So it's available from 7.1.x onwards. But, we have to go through a lot of work to get there. We need to change the layout of the entire cluster. We also have a few shares that have RW access from multiple access zones.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 3rd, 2014 08:00

access zones were introduced in 7.0

October 3rd, 2014 10:00

Yes I know. I meant share overlap. Our cluster is at 7.0.2.8. But, I am not able to create duplicate share names

At 7.0.x all shares are visible from all access zones, only shares are authenticated based on access zones and as such duplicate sharenames cannot exist. In 7.1, they are changing this and that's the reason they introduced the base directories concept.

Am I missing something?

No Events found!