Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2009 05:00

1-TB RAID 0 on XPS M2010

Hi, all!

Noob here on the Dell forums.

I want to ask if anyone out there has tried installing two 500-GB hard drives on an XPS M2010 and linked them in RAID 0 for a total of 1 terabyte storage.  I plan to do this on my M2010, but I want to know first if this is at all possible for this model of laptop before I buy the components (actually, except for the hard drives themselves, I already have all components -- cables, caddy and all).  Are there any limits set by the BIOS or hard drive controllers or anything else on the laptop that might prohibit this?

Thanks!

1 Message

May 8th, 2013 07:00

I installed 2 1TB HDD's in my M2010 and it's working fine . Now I have so much storage space it's unreal.

yachtnutz

13 Posts

May 15th, 2013 03:00

So the XPS M2010 has been phased out for a while now -- since 2009 or 2010, I think. This means that even the newest M2010s are over three years old by now. Mine would be 5.

So how is everyone's M2010s doing? :)

I have since modded my video card to prevent it from going through that overheating issue common to the M2010 GPUs. Also, as stated above, I've stuck two 750-GB drives into it and linked it in RAID 0, then installed Windows 8 Pro into it. Drivers were a headache to install, as expected, but I was able to do some run-arounds to make it work. The only hitch so far is that the Bluetooth keyboard loses pairing with the computer every now and then, requiring a USB keyboard and mouse to go through the hoops of pairing it again. Not sure why this happens.

Also, as expected, the main battery is dead and the unit requires being plugged in full time to run. The battery on the keyboard, surprisingly, has not needed changing and still works well when disconnected from the computer (except for the lost pairing issue, although THAT could be a symptom of the keyboard battery dying, too).

All in all, mine is still doing well and I'm still using it often. I have since bought a desktop gaming rig which has served as my primary computing platform for a while now, but I still bring out my M2010 whenever I need to have a computer while out of the house. It still turns heads, despite the many cosmetic scratches now on the rubberized layer of the body.

I'm thinking of scraping off the rubberized layer and giving it a red-and-gold Iron Man color scheme, with the glowing "DELL" logo made to look like an arc reactor. :P

13 Posts

I installed 2 1TB HDD's in my M2010 and it's working fine . Now I have so much storage space it's unreal.

yachtnutz

Haha! I know the feeling. I stuck two Western Digital Scorpio Black 750-GB drives into my M2010 last October; Now I'm wondering what I'll ever do with 1.5TB of space. :D Though I'm pretty sure that, in two years, 1.5TB will suddenly not be enough. :P

13 Posts

And I just realized that it is now four years to the day since I started this thread. :D

30 Posts

May 15th, 2013 05:00

Wow! Time flies!:emotion-3:

May 28th, 2013 16:00

I just found this thread.  I had parked my 2010 2-3 years ago, when it seemed impossible to upgrade to Win 7.  I'm going to pull it out of mothballs and see what happens.  

Thanks to all who continued to work with the 2010/

I'll still not buy another Dell.  Any company that stops supporting a $4,500 computer at 30 months is not worth dealing with.   Dell also stopped supporting 2 H2C's that I purchased aroudn the same time.

It seems Dell's customers are much more on the ball than Dell.

I hope I can find the video card remedy mentioned above.  Thanks again to all.

May 28th, 2013 19:00

After looking all over the net and these forums, I can find nothing on preventing the overheating.   If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Again, thanks to all who persevered through the M2010 and did what Dell should have done.

30 Posts

May 28th, 2013 20:00

hey Charlie! Ive had my video card replaced 3 times due to overheating. What Ive decided to do is remove the hard drive that sits directly under the video card and only use the 1 HDD bay that isnt under the video card. Im thinking thats going to work since the heat from he hard drive isnt smack dab underneath it. I bought a 1 TB HDD. Thats plenty big. Sure I wont have the RAID, but I dont care...I just want it to WORK!

13 Posts

May 29th, 2013 00:00

I documented the process by which I modded my video card to compensate for the factory defect that causes the GPU chip to overheat. Mine had already failed, but the mod brought it back to life. If your video card hasn't failed yet, I highly advise doing the mod to PREVENT it from failing.

I've set the album to "Public" so that anyone with a Facebook account can browse through it.

Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151920617914018.1073741830.584849017&type=3

12 Posts

May 29th, 2013 00:00

Over the 4 years I had my M2010, the video card failed 4 times. Most of the other parts only failed once or twice (display, motherboard, keyboard, both batteries a few times, power supply, etc.). The last time it died, it was out of warranty...so I'm done with the M2010 and with Dell. Lack of support (never got the BD drive running under Win7, unreliable design, and dumb design flaws (keyboard not hard-connected when docked, leaving you unable to interrupt boot to enter system setup, etc).

30 Posts

May 29th, 2013 06:00

Bob. that sucks so hard. I agree with everything 100% . I just cant get over that not 1 person at Dell, not 1..could have solved any of these issues.

30 Posts

May 29th, 2013 06:00

oh yeah, thanks for posting. I need to do this too.

7 Posts

December 7th, 2013 18:00

Hello CRC2 i was wondering if you had the doc for the 64bit windows 7 install if so please reupload it i have been having troubles installing and the link is dead and i think this link is missing quit a bit of the guide http://www.docstoc.com/docs/23646670/By-crc2---Installing-Windows7--64bit---on-an-XPS-M2010-This-guide its also a hard to follow the one here as because its way too long if possible wouldn't mind pming you my email so you could just send it via email sorry for bumping

263 Posts

December 10th, 2013 11:00

HYGOGG,

Was wondering if CRC2 responded to your request? I have made this procedure work on my XPS M2010 with his and many others. The procedure listed in the original and subsequent forums has been removed for some reason. CRC2's procedure in on the internet. Trying to figure out how to get it to you to see if it is what you have or can be of help to you. Ping my email if you want.

Good luck,

bellboy3

7 Posts

December 10th, 2013 14:00

Well CRC2 has not responded as of yet but i will pm you with my email and will accept any assistance and thanks in advance

No Events found!