Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DJ

April 9th, 2013 01:00

2013 April - Compatible Wireless Cards for Dell Inspiron 4000 Model PP01L Dell LBL p/n 567WP A00 XP SP2

Good morning 

I have an old but fully functioning Dell Inspiron 4000 (Model PP01L Dell LBL p/n 567WP A00) 512MB Win7 SP2 (up to date) :emotion-2:

I want to swap the old v90 dialup modem in the Mini-PCI slot for a wireless b/gn card and I am being greeted by a "CODE 10 this device cannot start" error 

NB: An Intel 2915ABG and another DELL branded Broadcom wireless card returned this error, whereas an Intel 2200BG out of my CLEVO 550 would install but continuously try to get an IP address. In all cases I have downloaded and installed the correct driver for the car and the devices tru name is showing in device manager

Am I assuming only selected devices will install and function in this laptop because of its age/architecture? 

If anyone has a list of devices that work OR have a device that is known to work, can you help me out (I have access via a box in my garage and ebay to whatever might be needed)

Kind regards 

Dr John C Bullas "Dr B"

Southampton 

UK 

April 10th, 2013 22:00

The Intel 2200BG now appears to be working fine BUT the Intel Wireless operation thrown up an error when activated and the Intel tray icon and option indicates that no compatible card is found (meaning no profiles can be stored) .

Using the Microsoft Zero configuration is 100% other than this same transient error message when modifying settings, I will put some screen shots on flickr of the drivers it is using, maybe the modification of the configuration line in the install application ( deleting the .

The laptop is rather sluggish at present with only 256MB on board (awaiting 2 x 256k of SYNCH  PC100 SODIMM )

33 Posts

April 4th, 2014 23:00

HI, I have installed the 2200BG on my Inspiron 4000, Windows XP has detected it and drivers worked fine but seems to find no Wifi Network. I have connected both conectors to an antenna but nothing appears. Is there something else I can do in order to make it work completely? Please Let me know Thanks

April 5th, 2014 03:00

I had the same problems,  there appears to be some fundamental incompatibilities between the Dell and some cards especially as it was never originally set up to do wireless via the mini PCI slot (at least mine was not)

What I would suggest is trying another card, send me an IM as I have 10-20 cards of a job lot on mini PCI modems etc etc I would be happy to do a swap or at least check the card I put in my 4000 for its credentials 

Have you thought about a wireless card for the PCMCIA slot? 

kind regards

Dr B 

St Denys

UK

33 Posts

April 5th, 2014 11:00

Finally I managed to make it work!!!!!!!

After Installing the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Basic Enterprise Software for Windows XP 32-​Bit

(Versión 12.​4.​4 32-​Bit) from Intel Site (not just the driver) I started to see the wireless networks.

No further configuration was needed. Remember to connect an externa antenna since the Inspiron 4000 does not have one in its original configuration.

Thanks Dr B. your post inspire me to the solution. 

No Events found!