Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2017 13:00

8 Beep problem

Hello there,

I have an Alienware17 laptop which had been working fine until today.

As I was using it, I accidentally pressed Fn + F5 (which reads "I/D GFX")

This caused my laptop to reboot and when it restarted all the graphics were weird and terrible, after an it it just went full black screen for a long time so I pressed the power button to shut down the laptop.

Since then every time I power on the laptop the screen stays black and doesn't power up at ALL and all I hear is 8 beeps all the time... Any solutions ?

I didn't damage the laptop in any way, just pressed Fn + F5

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 25th, 2017 16:00

Hold the D key through powerup - can you see alternating solid color screens?

April 26th, 2017 11:00

I've tried this and holding it down with Fn but no luck.

The screen is just off. Tested it with external monitor too, and nothing can be seen there too.

April 26th, 2017 12:00

Quite sad because this happened all f a sudden... next time I'll be more careful to know of the self destruct buttons Alienware puts in their laptops :P , Thanks for the reply .

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 26th, 2017 12:00

That would leave the GPU as the most likely point of failure -- but the mainboard could be bad.

144 Posts

April 26th, 2017 18:00

Remove the battery and AC Adapter from the laptop and press the power button down for about 10-15 seconds to release flea power.

Connect the AC adapter (leave the battery out), Power up the system and then repeatedly tap the F12 key during the boot process to get to the Boot Menu, if you are able to see the display.

Use the up and down arrow keys to select on the menu and press the Enter key.

You also may consider to remove the AC adaptor, battery and CMOS (cell coin) battery and press the power button down for about 10-15 seconds.

Check the Dell support site for the manual how-to remove the parts.

April 27th, 2017 12:00

I tried this too, I've basically tried everything that I found online.

Nothing has worked for me, so I will assume it's a motherboard issue, or faulty Display.

The display just stays OFF, it's not ON and black, it's completely OFF.

I will take it for repair although I think my warranty expired a month ago or so, but if it's not a motherboard error then I should be fine in terms of price. If it's above what I expect to pay, then I'll just build a desktop and just be done with it :(

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

144 Posts

April 27th, 2017 14:00

According to the Dell support article SLN114868, the 8 beeps are a reference to a defective LCD screen.

Select  the No Post option, then the Laptops Beep Codes

Should the system be out of warranty, you can still consider resetting the video cable.

No Events found!