Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

6 Posts

October 20th, 2006 15:00

A09 BIOS for 6400/E1505 Does Not Install

I have tried every method possible to install the A09 version of the BIOS for my 6400/E1505 but I receive the same message:

An unexpected error occurred while running the flash application.
Please reboot and try again.

If the error occurs, please contact technical help.

Application Error Return: 0x00000604
Windows Error Return: 0x00000002

Dell Technical support has not been much help. I have tried downloading the file multiple times with multiple accounts. I disabled McAfee anti-virus. Booted from a CD and tried running the program all with the same results. I even tried to run the package from two other non-Dell machines and received the same error messages. If I run a FLASH package on the wrong target machine, I typically receive an error message telling me that this BIOS update is not intended for that machine. I have come to the conclusion that this FLASH package has problems. Other people are reporting the same problems with other A09 versions for other machines.

Is anyone else experiencing problems with this BIOS update? Please post here to let Dell know of the extent of the problem.

Mark

4 Posts

October 20th, 2006 16:00

I've flashed two E1505's with this bios and have had no problem at all. Ran it from windows xp and it rebooted, stated it was updating the bios and rebooted again. No errors at all.

6 Posts

October 21st, 2006 04:00

@shadowrt wrote:
I've flashed two E1505's with this bios and have had no problem at all. Ran it from windows xp and it rebooted, stated it was updating the bios and rebooted again. No errors at all.

This is strange. Maybe there is a BIOS setting that is preventing the execution of the FLASH update program. This should not be occurring.

9 Posts

October 31st, 2006 22:00

I had the same problem. And posted here since the BIOS has came out.
Read here:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_bios&message.id=38962&query.id=701648#M38962

3 Posts

November 7th, 2006 12:00

I have the same problem. Ive tried all the common sense stuff (no AV, safe mode, redownloading, etc). I had the problem with A08 as well and never got it to install. I was hoping A09 would not have the same problem but obviously it does. Any answers DELL???

December 15th, 2006 17:00

Inspiron 600m.  Created a DOS 6.22 boot CD, put the BIOS image (executable) on the same CD (I'm fairly certain you could use a separate disc, but it was convenient).
Worked flawlessly the first time with the latest BIOS version for this machine (I600mA17).

I was receiving the following errors when trying to flash the BIOS from Windows
Application Error Return: 0x00000604
Windows Error Return: 0x00000002

I hope this works for anyone/everyone else!
No Events found!