Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

April 5th, 2008 23:00

A11 on Inspiron 1525 incompatible w/ Vista SP1?

I made the mistake of applying a BIOS update very close to the same time that I had applied Vista SP1 on aDell Inspiron 1525. After applying both updates, the laptop would consistently reboot when put to sleep (hardreboot instead of sleep), and would reboot instead of shutting down when hibernating after committing thememory image to disk. Rolling back SP1 would make the problem intermittent, but did not resolve completely. Reapplying SP1 and rolling the BIOS back to A09 seems to have resolve the issue.

Is there a known incompatability with BIOS A11 and Vista SP1 on the Inspiron 1525?  

11 Posts

July 4th, 2008 21:00

khisel:

Dell should have this work around as a urgent fix then on there Dell Support Center App.

Better yet, how about making there tech support aware of the work around instead of having me reinstall the OS and a bunch of other nonsense.

You are right khisel...It is a "screw up"...Big time.

Dell was not like this in the past.

6 Posts

July 6th, 2008 05:00

Yup, got the same problem. Thought I'd just add a post to this pseudo-pettition (spelled wrong cuz I can't actually use the word for some reason...) forum to Dell... Hope everyone's laptops work okay soon!

3 Posts

July 6th, 2008 19:00

japp the same thing............

3 Posts

July 7th, 2008 13:00

but ......you know...............with this "patch", when my laptop is off the wireless card still on, and it continue consuming battery energy, i know that because my laptop is new and the next day the battery is in 94% and before this "patch", the battery always in 100%.

so........... DELL?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 8th, 2008 14:00

Hi, all.

Update: The issue remains escalated and  under investigation. I will report back any updates I hear.

11 Posts

Hello Dell,

How about an update for us customers on the fix?

The problem has been escalated according to posts here.

An official statement is in order.

Thanks,

Your Customers

3 Posts

ah this is not looking good, when is a new patch coming?!

I hope dell makes a new patch cuz this is not normal for us as custemors

11 Posts

July 8th, 2008 15:00

Bill,

Thanks for the fast reply.

The problem is that this has been escalated for months.

Is there enough focus on this problem?  Obviously there are many, many people experiencing this problem.

Can you keep us posted on the progress of the fix?

Thanks

11 Posts

July 15th, 2008 00:00

Hey Bill!

I just upgraded to BIOS A13 and it seems to have fixed the problem.  (release 07/10/08)

Can you verify this?

I've been using it for 10 hours (continuous use) and it seems to sleep properly now.

11 Posts

July 15th, 2008 05:00

False alarm...  Still not fixed.

The sleep / restart problem is not solved by bios A13.

3 Posts

July 15th, 2008 08:00

it does work for me :)
Thnx problem solved!

11 Posts

July 15th, 2008 12:00

I thought is was fixed too for quite a few hours and once I had to recharge the battery it started acting up again.

I closed the lid and it rebooted over and over.

11 Posts

July 20th, 2008 14:00

I think I found the FIX:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_general&message.id=283812&query.id=292706#M283812

I can't believe how simple it is.  Here you go

Well, I seemed to have solved my own problem. I went into the part of the control panel that lets you control what happens when you close the lid; I set both options (AC and Battery) to 'Do Nothing'. I closed it, and it did nothing. So, I went back in to the control panel and changed them both back to sleep, closed the lid, and it worked. Sleeping like a baby!

21 Posts

July 20th, 2008 18:00

cts519--

The BIOS and system sleep options are not the problem.  In all cases, you've changed something which TEMPORARILY interferes with the actual problem.  I guarantee you will see the symptoms return until you do the following: 

The workaround was presented several pages back.  The problem has to do with the Dell wireless card going to sleep.  You need to disable this in device manager.  Do NOT allow windows to put the wireless card to sleep.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 24th, 2008 13:00

Hi, all.

This issue remains under investigation. We are working to resolve this issue at this time. For now, the only viable workaround we have seen that works is to disable power management for the Dell wireless card. This will have a slight negative impact on your battery run time if you are not connecting to a wireless network. If you are on battery and connected to a wireless network, there will be no change in your battery run time.

At this stage, engineers have aske me to facilitate what we refer to at Dell as "system captures." What this means is that we would replace your current system with a new one that matches or exceeds your current configuration, and have your old system cross shipped directly to a failure analysis engineer for evaluation and issue replication. Once we have a few customer systems in-house, we can move forward more rapidly with a fix.

If anyone with this specific issue who is interested in swapping out your system for a new one (you will still need to implement the workaround  until a solution is developed and posted), please send me a private message with your service tag, current shipping address, and daytime contact phone number. I will get with you offline, and get a replacement system order placed. You will not need to ship in your current system until the replacement arrives. Normally on system exchanges, you can swap your old hard drive into the new system, but in this instance we will need to evaluate your system with your hard drive installed.

NOTE: THE SYSTEM CAPTURE REQUEST IS FOR U.S. AND CANADIAN CUSTOMERS ONLY. I do not have dispatch rights outside of the North American region.

Message Edited by DELL-Bill B on 07-24-2008 09:06 AM
No Events found!