Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2016 06:00

AMD Graphics - No displays are currently connected to AMD products - Lat E5570

The AMD graphics card we paid extra for is not being used.  Updated to the latest Intel graphics drivers (update via Windows "Update Driver" button through device manager).  Also updated Radeon card's drivers to latest version via AMD website and system detect.  Now when I boot the machine I get a black screen. A hard shutdown (hold power button) and then "Start System Normally" will bring up the normal login screen.

AMD Radeon (TM) R7 M370 (Linked) - Driver Version 16.300.2311.0

Intel(R) HD  Graphics 530 - Driver Version 20.19.15.4483

What is the fix for the boot to black screen? How can I use the AMD Graphics GPU?  I'd prefer it be the default graphics card for all software.

Please advise.

2 Posts

December 28th, 2016 09:00

I ended up contacting Dell support - company machine w/ support contract.  Support logged in remotely and reinstalled all the AMD drivers and software.  Certainly a disappointment that this level of fix was required, but it's been pretty smooth sailing since.  Excel 2013 occasionally hiccups, one of the major symptoms that used to go to a complete lockup and reboot, but I cannot confirm if the problem is Excel or AMD.  Either way it's only mildly annoying now.  Best of luck!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 12th, 2016 14:00

The AMD GPU is not a true discrete unit - it is a coprocessor for the on-CPU Intel GPU.

You may simply need to install the latest Intel GPU drivers -- if that does not work, revert the system to the Dell drivers it came with.

The AMD GPU is chosen on a per-application basis with the AMD control panel (and the context menu that shows up when you right-click on an application icon).  However, it cannot operate by itself - ALL video data passes through the Intel GPU on its way to the screen (there is no physical connection between the AMD GPU and the display screen).

The AMD GPU is not and cannot be made primary.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 12th, 2016 14:00

Laptops with an add-on graphics card always use the integrated video until the computer needs extra graphic power. Then the add-on card kicks in. You cannot use the add-on card alone. It automatically works when needed. It is not a stand alone card like those in desktops.

Make sure you do not use any driver updates from AMD. Laptop drivers are customized by Dell and rarely if ever need updating. If an update is ever needed, Dell will notify you. Reinstall the original Dell drivers.

12 Posts

December 28th, 2016 09:00

I have the same problem but your solution didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions?

No Events found!